/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle? #1  

Dsewell1963

Tractor
2021 Massey Furguson 1840E
Is the Shuttle ok?

/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle? #2  
Yes.

/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle? #3  
Totally depends on your work. I L O V E my hydro. But if I was going to primarily mow or till with it I think I would go back to a shuttle.

/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle? #4  
Is the Shuttle ok?
I bought my MF 1635 with shuttle in 2013 and for what I used it for it as great , bush hogging & road work . More HP at the PTO but either one is fine , Shuttle is easy and fast no problems but if I was only loading with it all day I would want Hydro

/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle? #5  
I have shuttle, HST, and gears.....and think we have had every transmission made over the years. Frankly, we haven't had any problems with any of them.

I replaced one dry clutch in a manual transmisson JD with over 10,000 hrs, a shifter bushing on a Yanmar, and nothing on any of the others. None of the jobs was major.

It comes down to your primary use. If you are doing a lot of loading or detail landscaping or lots of back and forth like cleaning stalls with the front loader, then HST is far better. Convenient and fast changes in direction are what HST excels at doing.
Anytime you are going longer in one direction - like bushhogging, field mowing, or grading, then the shuttle gives constant speed and a quietly efficient ride with way less operator input.

An advantage to the shuttle is that it is often paired with a lot of separate gear ratios, making it an 8 or 12 speed. The HST is variable ratio so it covers a similar ratio range, but is definitely less efficient. Most of the time the efficiency doesn't matter because you make up for it with more throttle. You will notice the lack of efficiency more at very low or very high ratios.

My experience is that shuttle transmissions tend to be quieter than HST - which does have a characteristic whine.

But either one will do both jobs.
rScotty

/ Massey Furguson HST or Shuttle?
Thanks for reply’s. I think I’m going with the shuttle.