Buying Advice Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #1  

Dave in Indy

Tractor
none
Hello, long-time lurker, second time poster. Previously I asked about a Toro Dingo vs a SCUT, and while I felt pretty strongly about a Dingo, my mind changed after driving some tractors. Fast forward to now, I've narrowed my selection to the GC1720 or the LS XJ2025. Both dealers are good, edge goes to Massey as they're closer. I've worked out pricing that appears to be excellent - packages including 48" box blade, tiller, thumb, PTO broadcast spreader, 42" SSQA forks, and dual rear remotes and third function on loader. Massey also comes with LED light bars forward and rear facing, block heater, chain hooks welded (2 on loader, 1 on hoe), and a canopy.

The LS has more loader and backhoe strength, but I didn't like the dual seat arrangement, the longer overall length, and the dealer didn't have quite the clear understanding of why I wanted rear remotes (top and tilt) - said "Why would you want that?" Also a little leery of the huge frame attached to the LS backhoe - besides putting on/taking off, it's got a huge footprint to store...but I guess I can just store in back on the tractor to save space. I also thought the backhoe hose location on the LS under the right side of the seat was a pain to deal with. I did like the greater engine displacement, the greater hydraulic flow and dual hydro pumps.

The Massey is $1400 less before tax, after adding all the goodies.

I've looked at Deere and I'm not interested. The Kubota BX 23S isn't available to sit on and drive locally, and likely smaller than what's already on my short list.

I'm leaning toward the Massey due to the dealer, and how it felt with my butt in the seat. But the LS just has more oomph, so before I go Massey, I just want to know if there's anything in my LS "dislikes" that should make me reconsider?

Thanks!

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #2  
Massey GC is nice little tractor, proven machine.

Last edited:
   / Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #3  
I have a Massey GC1710. It has exceeded my expectations. Great machine. No complaints. Would make the same decision again. Same machine as yours, just a few less RPM, 2 less HP, you have a better seat, and your signal lights have a guard around them. As far as I know, other than that- identical.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #4  
Hello, long-time lurker, second time poster. Previously I asked about a Toro Dingo vs a SCUT, and while I felt pretty strongly about a Dingo, my mind changed after driving some tractors. Fast forward to now, I've narrowed my selection to the GC1720 or the LS XJ2025. Both dealers are good, edge goes to Massey as they're closer. I've worked out pricing that appears to be excellent - packages including 48" box blade, tiller, thumb, PTO broadcast spreader, 42" SSQA forks, and dual rear remotes and third function on loader. Massey also comes with LED light bars forward and rear facing, block heater, chain hooks welded (2 on loader, 1 on hoe), and a canopy.

The LS has more loader and backhoe strength, but I didn't like the dual seat arrangement, the longer overall length, and the dealer didn't have quite the clear understanding of why I wanted rear remotes (top and tilt) - said "Why would you want that?" Also a little leery of the huge frame attached to the LS backhoe - besides putting on/taking off, it's got a huge footprint to store...but I guess I can just store in back on the tractor to save space. I also thought the backhoe hose location on the LS under the right side of the seat was a pain to deal with. I did like the greater engine displacement, the greater hydraulic flow and dual hydro pumps.

I've looked at Deere and I'm not interested. The Kubota BX 23S isn't available to sit on and drive locally, and likely smaller than what's already on my short list.

I'm leaning toward the Massey due to the dealer, and how it felt with my butt in the seat. But the LS just has more oomph, so before I go Massey, I just want to know if there's anything in my LS "dislikes" that should make me reconsider?

Thanks!

I had a prior model, GC2310, to the Massey you are considering. Great power and design features on the BH, like 3pt stays attached, good stabilizer design on "feet" and raised position. I also like the single seat position and to retain that feature on a larger tractor was one reason I went with a Kubota B3300.

Anyway, if you want something larger I would suggest looking at some other brands. Otherwise by your own writing it is clear you prefer the Massey features...trust your instinct.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB
I had a prior model, GC2310, to the Massey you are considering. Great power and design features on the BH, like 3pt stays attached, good stabilizer design on "feet" and raised position. I also like the single seat position and to retain that feature on a larger tractor was one reason I went with a Kubota B3300.

Anyway, if you want something larger I would suggest looking at some other brands. Otherwise by your own writing it is clear you prefer the Massey features...trust your instinct.

Yeah, that's true. If I'm trying to talk myself into the LS, it's probably not the one for me.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB
So I contacted my Kubota dealer to say I wasn't interested in the BX23 S because I wanted something a little bigger - planned to get the Massey. They have a B2601 with backhoe on the lot...around 23K. Huh. I was under the impression (mistaken) that B2601 TLB was closer to 30K so never considered it. I drove over to check it out. I was impressed. Tomorrow morning I should have a quote with some options like 3rd function on front and two rear remotes.

This decision is getting harder, not easier.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #7  
Just for clarity's sake, the B2601 with a FEL and backhoe is NOT the same machine as the B26 TLB. Still a good machine though.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #8  
   / Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #9  
So I contacted my Kubota dealer to say I wasn't interested in the BX23 S because I wanted something a little bigger - planned to get the Massey. They have a B2601 with backhoe on the lot...around 23K. Huh. I was under the impression (mistaken) that B2601 TLB was closer to 30K so never considered it. I drove over to check it out. I was impressed. Tomorrow morning I should have a quote with some options like 3rd function on front and two rear remotes.

This decision is getting harder, not easier.

The MSRP of the B2601 is near $6K greater than a GC1720. The difference in price between the two shouldn't change much after negotiation, unless one dealer is willing work and one isn't. I almost spent the extra on a B2601, its a great sized machine. To throw another wrinkle in there, the Kubota B2650 is only ~$2K more than a B2601. Its a slippery slope...an L2501 isnt much more...at that point you should be comparing to Massey 1726E.....haha....I could go on. Best thing is figure out your needs...and limitations...that will narrow down the selection.

/ Massey GC1720 vs LS XJ2025H TLB #10  

Thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, what's your price quote for both the massey and LS, with those options , I've been considering an xj2025, and also the massey. Buy am just curious as to price comparissions, as to quotes I'm getting, thanks