Massey-Harris #3 baler

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler #1  

gdk22984

Tractor
none
There is a CL ad in my area whom has a Massey-Harris # 3 baler for 150 bucks. Listed in fair condition with a broken needle. Ram and hay chamber runners rebuilt last summer and baled 3000 bales last summer as stated in description. I am looking for a project baler as a backup.

Is this unit worth investigating? I am worried about parts availability. I have read they are low capacity balers but would be fine for me. Any advise on this is appreciated.

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler #2  
I'm sure there are those that would say go ahead and do it but I did just this a few years ago.
Paid 150 for an iffy #3. Found the only part that Massey carries is the shear bolt. Anything else, the parts guy just laughed at me. Spent time welding up broken and worn out parts and never did get it to work.
So if you need parts you'll need a good boneyard or be willing to spend time searching.
I ended up taking mine in for scrap when it was up and made 20 bucks.

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler #3  
Needles can be made of cast steel, therefore weldable, even brazed. And, are often common or vary similar to those from other makes of balers. Having 1 good one is a good start. Why not post a picture if it with a yardstick or two in place and some other dimensions.

Then see what happens.

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler
Needles can be made of cast steel, therefore weldable, even brazed. And, are often common or vary similar to those from other makes of balers. Having 1 good one is a good start. Why not post a picture if it with a yardstick or two in place and some other dimensions.

Then see what happens.

I am planning to go take a look at it this weekend if that works on their end. I will bring the trailer. It's been listed for 2 months as I don't think anyone wants to mess with it. I would probably consider if they would accept a figure under 150 and it wasn't complete junk. They do say everything else was functioning as it should and was in use last year (3000 bales) so we'll see.

I am sure the machine is either worn out, out of timing, or a combination of both as why the needle snapped. I would figure it would snap a sheer pin as well... Any idea on how to obtain info on timing? I've looked online for manuals to no avail.

Thanks.

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler #5  
If it gets far enough out of timing or was brutally adjusted it can break a needle instead of a shear bolt, don't ask how I know.
Yes, needles can be welded and function perfectly.
I would determine the price for scrap steel in your area before throwing my money away on this dinosaur, $150 sounds like the tip of the iceberg. If nothing else you will be a better mechanic if you do buy it.
I was lucky enough to get wind of a retired New Holland mechanic who liked to moonlight for next to nothing.

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler #6  
There is a CL ad in my area whom has a Massey-Harris # 3 baler for 150 bucks. Listed in fair condition with a broken needle. Ram and hay chamber runners rebuilt last summer and baled 3000 bales last summer as stated in description. I am looking for a project baler as a backup.

Is this unit worth investigating? I am worried about parts availability. I have read they are low capacity balers but would be fine for me. Any advise on this is appreciated.

How did it go this weekend, did you end up getting the baler? what shape was it in?jw

/ Massey-Harris #3 baler
How did it go this weekend, did you end up getting the baler? what shape was it in?jw

I did not have time this past weekend, I was hoping to however...
Had to put it on the back burner, but I'll aim for next weekend.