Massey or LS?? Help me decide please

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #1  

mikect05

Tractor
Massey Or LS help me decide!
So I have been a lurker, and I have learned a lot, still don't know much, but I do know a lot more than I used to. We recently bought a home with 9 acres and we are big gardeners so we are going to make use of our land. much of it is open field which is very nice so we plan on planting rows of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and elderberries. We will have fruit trees and a big garden. I am also a beekeeper currently with 3 hives but will be expanding as I go. I will be using the tractor for moving skids with bees, finish mowing, tilling, and for wood, among other things. I have been researching tractors and have really narrowed my search down to LS and Massey. I am leaning towards a Massey, but seeing what a few people paid for an LS setup with a backhoe is very enticing. I am not going to get a backhoe now, but I would like to get one in the future. The Massey dealer told me 8k for a backhoe and for that price I don't ever foresee myself getting it. My good friend and neighbor will be buying an old backhoe soon so I will have access to that for bigger jobs like digging out a pond, and digging around my foundation for drainage. I would love to have a little hoe for smaller jobs like drainage and landscaping though.
So any info would be a great help. I have both dealers very close to me as well. There were a couple things that I did not like about the LS when I looked at it- there were screws around the joystick that were actually rusted, I just don't know why those are not stainless, also some plastic around the lights.
The Massey dealer gave me a quote on a 1529 with loader for $18400 5' pittsburgh tiller for $1895, and 6' sitrex finish mower for $2095.
The LS dealer gave me a quote for a G3033H with loader for 17599, and both extras about $2200 each.

I do see that the same LS dealer has prices advertised lower, although when I asked when there he said that was the special.

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #2  
I have the 1529 and I like it. The one gripe I have is with the rops it's 97 inches high and my garage is only 96 inches tall. Te machine itself is solid and always works like it should

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please
I have the 1529 and I like it. The one gripe I have is with the rops it's 97 inches high and my garage is only 96 inches tall. Te machine itself is solid and always works like it should

Wow, now I have to go measure my garage, I am surprised the rops doesn't fold down. Thanks for your input!

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #4  
They do fold down but I would rather not have to fold them down each and every time I use the tractor

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #5  
Mikect05, I'm new to this as well but just recently went through pretty much the same thing. We ended up getting a MF 1635, (used, low hours, still has warranty). I found the fit and finish on the MF to be much better IMHO. I also found the MF to be quieter. I looked at the LS you mentioned and didn't care for the loader control rither. The LS does have their series which is a bit more refined but also comes with a bit more price. I am happy with my decision and think I got the most bang for my buck for the things I wanted. I have nothing against the LS, it just wasn't for me.

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #6  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons forum. :)

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #7  
I don't think you can go wrong with either machine (I have one of each brand). With that said, the price on the LS is about $1K too high. My local dealer advertises geared G3033s for $15,850, and HST runs about $750 higher, so around $16,600 give or take. On top of that, he'll usually come down a little bit (a few hundred).

One other thing is that I can't see buying a G3033H over a G3038H because the 3038 has 300lbs more FEL lift capacity (that's 20% more), and only costs a few hundred extra.

LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine (I have one of each brand). With that said, the price on the LS is about $1K too high. My local dealer advertises geared G3033s for $15,850, and HST runs about $750 higher, so around $16,600 give or take. On top of that, he'll usually come down a little bit (a few hundred).

One other thing is that I can't see buying a G3033H over a G3038H because the 3038 has 300lbs more FEL lift capacity (that's 20% more), and only costs a few hundred extra.

LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

Thanks for the input. I actually see that my dealer has prices advertised over $1000 cheaper than what he quoted me, that does not sit well with me.
I have decided to either go with the MF 1532, or the LS G3038. What is bugging me is the difference in lift capacity. I definitely feel better with the Massey dealer, but my price range puts me at less hp and lift than I would like, and I can get those if I choose the LS.

/ Massey or LS?? Help me decide please #9  
Welcome to TBN

I agree with GManBart. Either machine will work for you. If you do go with LS go for the G3038H for a few hundred more as he said. I think you have seen and driven both machine so you should know how they fit, ease of control locations etc.
As far as backhoes go, if you don't get with the tractor and want one later they may be hard to find. Most people that buy a BH with their tractor won't sell them separately. Aftermarket BH's will be available, some will offer a sub frame mount to support others won't and you have to build your own. Tractor models have been changing every few years so backhoes and sub frames for new machines usually won't fit older models without modification. If you won't use one on a regular basis then borrow or rent one.
I also think you can get better prices on the implements at your local TSC store.
The dealer has lower advertised prices? Sometimes the advertise a lower price for a cash sale. Financed prices are usually higher. Was your quote his cash price or a financed price.

Last edited:
I completely had my mind made up on getting the Massey 1532, My dealer gave me a price of $19000. for tractor with FEL
However today I was down the road from the LS dealer with my girlfriend and decided to stop by and show her the LS, well the dealer came down on the price for the G3308h to just under $18000. More importantly, he was very nice, remembered mine and my sons name, and just all around gave me a good vibe dealing with him, very friendly. So I have totally changed my mind and am now going to go with him and the LS. I think I will appreciate the extra 700 lbs of FEL. I hope I don't regret this decision.