Mastering the FEL controls

/ Mastering the FEL controls #1  

Grand_Pooba

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230 & John Deere X324
When you watch a professional operator run a loader or backhoe they do mostly "multi axis movements" like rolling back the bucket and lifting at the same time. I've been trying to do this with my CT230 without much success. Seems real hard to find that sweet spot in the corners of the joystick and when I do both function slow to a crawl. (way less than half speed) I'm wondering if this is because it's a remote cable control or just operator error.:confused2:

/ Mastering the FEL controls #2  
When you use two functions at once you're filling four cylinders instead of two.
Higher rpms will increase GPM's and bucket speed.

/ Mastering the FEL controls #3  
When you watch a professional operator run a loader or backhoe they do mostly "multi axis movements" like rolling back the bucket and lifting at the same time. I've been trying to do this with my CT230 without much success. Seems real hard to find that sweet spot in the corners of the joystick and when I do both function slow to a crawl. (way less than half speed) I'm wondering if this is because it's a remote cable control or just operator error.:confused2:

The more you use it and get used to it ..it will come to you just like riding a bike or anything else...it take some getting used to and your skills will improve up to the capabilities of your machine.

/ Mastering the FEL controls #4  
On my tractor I dont seem to have enough g/min flow to really do two things at once very quickly (ie acceptable time frame).. Higher rmp's certainly do help, but i found it was easier to do it as two separate steps..

brian

/ Mastering the FEL controls #5  

It does not seem to be a problem with my CT230. It seems like a light touch is necessary (not forcing the handle too hard towards the diagonal direction). Most of my lifting and curling at the same time is with the pallet forks attached so I keep the RPM's around 1900 or so for that sort of operation to keep from moving too fast.

Steve

/ Mastering the FEL controls #6  
I have noticed the same thing with my mother and step-father's CT-230. I have run skid-loaders and other tractors with not a problem, I chalked this up to being new and "sticking". I will have to give it another run next time I am over there. I guess it is just one of those things about machines, they all are just a little bit different, and take a different "feel" to operate.

/ Mastering the FEL controls
I didn't have any FEL work to do this weekend but I did have a couple hours of mowing to do. Before I but the tractor in the shed I just ran the loader up and down trying to find the sweet spots in the "corners". It seems like the controller always wants to slide into either lift or curl. With some practice I was able to find the right spot. Maybe after the controls break in alittle more it wil be easier.
On a side note it would be better to attemp this when your wife is not home so you don't get the "what the *ell were you doing out there" question.:D

/ Mastering the FEL controls #8  
I just run at higher rpms and use the joystick in diagonal angles rather than forward/reverse ad side to side. With skidsteers it can be a lot of fun especially the ones with foot controls and the Case controls. If you run at a higher rpm and use the joystick diagonally it should work. It definatly makes it go a lot faster.:cool:

/ Mastering the FEL controls #9  
Feathering is the key and that takes time and practice. Since every machine is different it's kinda like starting from square one all over again.

Find some project where you'll be loading/spreading/digging all day and you'll make big strides from where your efficiency started and how much better you'll be at the end of the day.

Besides, practicing is half the fun! :D