Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #11  
I haul my tractor that weighs roughly 8800 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. I have a 20 footer with a 5 foot dove tail. The other thing to consider is where you put the load on the trailer. If you have a dually pickup, then you can put more weight on the truck and a little less on the trailer, if you have a single wheel pickup, then you will want it more balanced. Keep good fresh tires on the trailer and keep them aired to 75 to 80 psi, and that is as good as you will get for these trailers. My avatar shows my setup..

Hard to beat drw when towing, more rubber on the road means more control

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #12  
Very true, a dually is much more stable with a heavy load/trailer.

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #13  
And two extra tires give you more load capacity which comes in handy. There are times I wish I had a dually. When they are empty though, they ride kind of rough.

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #14  
And two extra tires give you more load capacity which comes in handy. There are times I wish I had a dually. When they are empty though, they ride kind of rough.

i like mine. rr tracks are about the only place i get a bump.. and that's from stiff suspension.

I much prefer the extra rubber onthe ground.

makes a differense on wet roads and dirt roads too.

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #15  
I got a Big Tex dual tandem and it will haul just about anything you throw at it.

day147-4.jpg

day147-1.jpg

day148-1.jpg

day148-2.jpg

Dually does run a little rough empty, but really only when going over rr track or speed bumps. Main issue I have is the Allison transmission slipping if I don't go easy up hills (duramax is chipped).

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #16  
I got a Big Tex dual tandem and it will haul just about anything you throw at it.

day147-4.jpg

day147-1.jpg

day148-1.jpg

day148-2.jpg

Dually does run a little rough empty, but really only when going over rr track or speed bumps. Main issue I have is the Allison transmission slipping if I don't go easy up hills (duramax is chipped).

Is it just me? Or am I reading this wrong. Trailer Life lists the max 5th wheel / Goose neck tow capacity at 14,800 for a 2002 3500 CC 4x4 Duramax yet your lumber load ticket shows 22,800. Maybe that's why the transmission is slipping.

Last edited:
   / Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #17  
not that i'm advocating hauling loads in excess of listed specs.. but i know for a fact my 99 ford powerstrokes ( 350 and 450 ) have both hauled loads that were just under cdl limits...

just saying...

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #18  
not that i'm advocating hauling loads in excess of listed specs.. but i know for a fact my 99 ford powerstrokes ( 350 and 450 ) have both hauled loads that were just under cdl limits...

just saying...

Can your trucks tow up to CDL limit and can the OP's tow over 26K. Of course they can. Could my 1/2T tow 15K. Of course it could. It's just the fact that it's over the trucks towing limit making it illegal to do so. I think there are a lot of guys who tow more than their trucks limit. I have at least 4 guys on my road who daily tow over 20K with a 1T. Just saying they shouldn't advertise that fact. I'm not saying I haven't done it but again its not something I advertise. I have my CDL and it's just a pet peeve when I see things like this.

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #19  
Can your trucks tow up to CDL limit and can the OP's tow over 26K. Of course they can. Could my 1/2T tow 15K. Of course it could. It's just the fact that it's over the trucks towing limit making it illegal to do so. I think there are a lot of guys who tow more than their trucks limit. I have at least 4 guys on my road who daily tow over 20K with a 1T. Just saying they shouldn't advertise that fact. I'm not saying I haven't done it but again its not something I advertise. I have my CDL and it's just a pet peeve when I see things like this.

depending on the state you are in.. it can be a tag limit fix / issue.

we have a 99 450 at work tagged to 25999 pay your money and go.. tax collector and dot don't bat an eye...

/ Max Load on a Big Tex 14GN 28+5 #20  
depending on the state you are in.. it can be a tag limit fix / issue.

we have a 99 450 at work tagged to 25999 pay your money and go.. tax collector and dot don't bat an eye...

Can it can be done that way with a 1, 3/4. or 1/2Ton? Just pay the fee and go?
A 450 is a bigger truck and expected to be able to tow more..