Max. Time for Glow Plugs

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #11  
DieselMonk said:
Only because he measured voltage and not the amperage on the glow plug, does not mean that the glow plugs are good.
As for the glow timing... 10sec is o.k. but I wouldn't go longer than 15 sec. I did however preglow once for 10sec, wait 5 sec and glow again for 10 sec with no trouble.

My 2 cents canadian... only 1 1/2 cent american ;)

DM

The cycles work best for me.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #12  
I would not think that the glowplugs would burn out, they are only going to get so hot. Some of the older Caterpillar machines had glowplug times of up to 90 sec for below zero temps. Try 30 then 45 then 60 seconds and see if it makes a difference as to how it starts. If it does not help then it isn't your glowplugs that are causing the problem. Most newer diesels require only about 10-15 sec glowplug heat time. Of course that depends on the air temp.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #13  
yes, but you still want to have some juice to crank the engine over, as the lil tractor doesn't have 2, 4 or more batteries like the catarpillar! ;-)

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #14  
thcri said:
The light the original poster is talking about was told to me by my dealer that is more for a minimum time. Even if you tractor is warm you should run the plugs.

murph

When I purchased my TC33DA, I very well remember the salesman telling me that the tractor would start without waiting for the glow plugs to cycle. He is right about that, but did he give me bad information?
He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the Boomer line, and I kinda think that I might have also read that in the owners manual. ( I could be dreaming though.)
Anyway I'm just curious, why would you use glow plugs to start a warm engine?
The only answer I can think of is to keep starter time to a minimum.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #15  
Turbys_1700 said:
If I lived in the North where cold temp start ups are common place I would put a block heater in my tractor. Here in NC it's a non-issue. My 1720 lights up the glow plug dash indicator for perhaps 5 to 10 seconds and she starts right up. But that's in 40 degree weather not 20.

On my 2120 I never use glow plugs at 40. About 10 seconds when it drops below 30. Tractor is always outsides with no block heater. Has always started right up in the 19 years I have had it.

Andy

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #16  
No two tractors will always start the same. A lot depends on engine compression, battery condition, air temp, starter condition, battery cable ends clean and fuel etc etc. If a tractor will start without using glow plugs then it is alright to not use them. If it is slow to start or will not start then they should be used. Severial manufactures say 25-30 seconds should be max. A good way to use them is to heat them for 10-15 seconds, crank the engine a couple rev's and heat them again and crank engine.

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #17  
kossetx said:
Bob, I'm curious. Why would someone need that info to answer his question? He is asking what the max time to run glow plugs would be. If he lived in FL or WA it would be the same question.
Wouldn't need em in fla. would you?

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #18  
I have used them a couple time in Florida panhandle. Only when temp was in low 30s and it was cranking so so i wanted all the advantage I cold get! :)

/ Max. Time for Glow Plugs #19  
randy41 said:
on my ford 1710 theres a little coil that you can see glowing on the dash...well you can see it when the sun isnt real bright. anyway, i wait for it to get red then i start the tractor. this usually takes but a few seconds....10 maybe? i dont think that glow plugs keep getting hotter but reach their max temperature pretty quickly...i also think that heating the plugs starts to drain down your battery giving you less juice to run the starter.

I have the same setup on the 1910. I let the coils get nice and bright and then when the engine starts to chug I go back to glow position for a bit. It helps it get running smooth sooner.