Max tow weight confusion

/ Max tow weight confusion #11  
I guess that's what I was getting at. I was trying to figure how you can actually tow a 14K trailer without being overloaded. If the numbers on the truck are close to correct I'm thinking I would be overweight if I was maxed out with a gooseneck tongue weight of 2400 lbs. or more. I think I'll go with a 10K TT since 12K is non existent anywhere near me.
If the GVW of the truck is 10,000 and the GVW of the trailer is 14,000, that's 24,000....... under CDL. Or is that not what you meant by "overweight"?

Last edited:
   / Max tow weight confusion
If the GVW of the truck is 10,000 and the GVW of the trailer is 14,000, that's 24,000....... under CDL. Or is that not what you meant by "overweight"?
I was thinking more of being over the 10k gvwr and 2700 lb payload. Even everything loaded I should be 24000 lbs max total.

/ Max tow weight confusion #13  
I was thinking more of being over the 10k gvwr and 2700 lb payload. Even everything loaded I should be 24000 lbs max total.
Are you concerned about this from the perspective of a ticket from the DOT, or from the capabilities of your truck? I assure you that what you're describing is well within what your pickup can handle. The safe payload rating of most 3/4 ton pickups is extremely conservative. The diesel Ford Excursion, for example, has a GVW of 9200 lbs. A friend of mine has one and with no cargo other than him in it it weighs close to 9000. My Dodge 2500 has a GVW of 8800 lbs and it weighs just a bit under 8000. I can comfortably haul 3500, and with care have hauled close to 6K (this is in the bed, not towed). It's not in factory configuration, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Are you concerned about this from the perspective of a ticket from the DOT, or from the capabilities of your truck? I assure you that what you're describing is well within what your pickup can handle. The safe payload rating of most 3/4 ton pickups is extremely conservative. The diesel Ford Excursion, for example, has a GVW of 9200 lbs. A friend of mine has one and with no cargo other than him in it it weighs close to 9000. My Dodge 2500 has a GVW of 8800 lbs and it weighs just a bit under 8000. I can comfortably haul 3500, and with care have hauled close to 6K (this is in the bed, not towed). It's not in factory configuration, but you get the idea.
I’m not too concerned with being weighed since I don’t really haul past a scale often. A mobile inspector would have to stop me, not too likely, although when big trucks are thin, I have seen them stop pickups. I just don’t want to get carried away being overloaded. I’m sure I’m overthinking this, I excel at that. I could buy a 10k trailer but also thinking I would like a 14k gooseneck. It would be nice to try one first, not sure how to make that happen.

/ Max tow weight confusion #15  
I’m not too concerned with being weighed since I don’t really haul past a scale often. A mobile inspector would have to stop me, not too likely, although when big trucks are thin, I have seen them stop pickups. I just don’t want to get carried away being overloaded. I’m sure I’m overthinking this, I excel at that. I could buy a 10k trailer but also thinking I would like a 14k gooseneck. It would be nice to try one first, not sure how to make that happen.
We had a commercial vehicle enforcement officer that seemed to focus on farmers and contractors hauling equipment on trailers. Most people have the "if it fits, it ships" mentality with trailers and pickups and only worry about weight when it becomes painfully obvious it's over loaded. Although load securement might have been his prime focus. I never asked him to find out.

/ Max tow weight confusion #16  
Around here they tend to check landscaper trailers for proper securement when they get bored. Also a few years back the state police got a wild hair and set up portable scales across the street from the grain elevator and were weighing vehicles as the farmers came in to dump their grain at the elevator. Got one farmer towing a loaded grain cart. 72K on a single axle limit of 36K.

/ Max tow weight confusion #17  
I could buy a 10k trailer but also thinking I would like a 14k gooseneck. It would be nice to try one first, not sure how to make that happen.
one other thing I would consider buying a gooseneck vs bumper pull, do you know anyone else with a goose hitch? If your truck were broke down and you had to get the trailer from point a to b, could you? Granted most towing companies can figure it out, they are getting very pricey also.

/ Max tow weight confusion #18  
Gooseneck all the way. They handle the load better, they are not as picky about tongue with the load forward or back, you can be close not perfect like a bumperpull. I see 14k bumper pulls and cringe at the loads being too far forward or back. If you are gonna haul 10k, get a gooseneck.

My L4060 cab weighs in at 6450lbs with fel, bucket, and loaded rears. Up to 7300lbs with front and rear plows.
I upgraded from a 7k landscape trailer to a 12k trailer to tow the tractor with some capacity to spare. Trailer weight is 2695lbs, which leaves me with 9305lbs of trailer capacity.
I tow with a 2011 F250 CC (3.73) with towing package. Towing over 6000 lbs requires a weight distribution hitch according to my particular setup and I suspect yours may also.
Happy shopping!
My hitch is the same. I would go 12k if I could find one. Something else I was wondering. Ford rates their hitch at 12.5 k max WD. Does that hold true even with a higher rated hitch due to the leverage, etc.?

If I can find a decent used gooseneck that’s probably the route I’ll take. I’m trying to stay under $7,000.00 which would buy a new 10k 24ft TT or hopefully a good used 14k gooseneck. I towed my DX35 on an 18ft trailer without any sway issues but there wasn’t room for adjustment.