May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
I am in a bit of a quandry(sp)

I have 15 acres that is pretty much flat. I was seriously thinking about getting an L series Kubota for overall chores. BUT........ The more I think about it, the more I think that I would be making a bad choice.

The acreage is around 10-11 lawn and 4-5 field. The previous owner used an old MF with a 5ft finish and had a few cows in the field.

I have been giving a lot of thought to the fact that even on an L series, the FEL is not all that large and if it happened to have a backhoe, there really is no digging depth or reach on a CUT, so the thought was always to get a used dedicated loader/backhoe (Case, Ford, whatever) to go with the tractor.

The more that I think about it, the more it is starting to make more sense to get a ZT mower (Dixie Chopper, preferably X series & at least 60" deck) and then get the used loader/hoe for all other chores.

Dixie Chopper claims to cut 8 acres an hour with the 72" and even if I got the 60", it would still only take a few hours. I would be getting cows in the field so that would maybe need a cut 1 or 2 times a year. (and probably could raise the deck on the ZT enough to do that). Fall leave mulching is also an easy do for the ZT, the SCUT not so much.

Is a CUT really the "be all, end all" of small farm use or is my second line of thought making any sense? I see lots of new (2yrs old, never sold) Dixies on tractorhouse, so I know they can be had in the $6-9K range, which is easily less than half of a new L series. Then pick up the loader/hoe for $6-8K and be done with it.

Any input of any kind would be great. If my idea is dumb, tell me so (I can handle it :p)

Last edited:
   / May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #2  
I am in a bit of a quandry(sp)

I have 15 acres that is pretty much flat. I was seriously thinking about getting an L series Kubota for overall chores. BUT........ The more I think about it, the more I think that I would be making a bad choice.

The acreage is around 10-11 lawn and 4-5 field. The previous owner used an old MF with a 5ft finish and had a few cows in the field.

I have been giving a lot of thought to the fact that even on an L series, the FEL is not all that large and if it happened to have a backhoe, there really is no digging depth or reach on a SCUT, so the thought was always to get a used dedicated loader/backhoe (Case, Ford, whatever) to go with the tractor.

The more that I think about it, the more it is starting to make more sense to get a ZT mower (Dixie Chopper, preferably X series & at least 60" deck) and then get the used loader/hoe for all other chores.

Dixie Chopper claims to cut 8 acres an hour with the 72" and even if I got the 60", it would still only take a few hours. I would be getting cows in the field so that would maybe need a cut 1 or 2 times a year. (and probably could raise the deck on the ZT enough to do that). Fall leave mulching is also an easy do for the ZT, the SCUT not so much.

Is a SCUT really the "be all, end all" of small farm use or is my second line of thought making any sense? I see lots of new (2yrs old, never sold) Dixies on tractorhouse, so I know they can be had in the $6-9K range, which is easily less than half of a new L series. Then pick up the loader/hoe for $6-8K and be done with it.

Any input of any kind would be great. If my idea is dumb, tell me so (I can handle it :p)

I see where you are coming from. We have 20 acres. Seven acres in pasture nine acres in yard. Four in woods. Flat as a pancake. I mow with a CUT and six foot RFM. Takes me about seven hours to mow my yard. Every single weekend. A ZTR would probably cut this time down to less than half. But I need the loader, brush hog, and post hole digger. I can't afford both the CUT with all the goodies and also a ZTR so I went the CUT route. I don't mind mowing the yard. But seven hours every weekend mowing is for sure a serious consideration. It's an important choice. For me it is the best comprimise.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #3  
Just thinking,

The field may be a little rough for the ZT, after the Cows make their divots from walking around a rained soaked field or a Freeze/Thaw field in the winter will make for a rough time come summer. Not to mention the "Piles" that will start to appear after a few months.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please
Just thinking,

The field may be a little rough for the ZT, after the Cows make their divots from walking around a rained soaked field or a Freeze/Thaw field in the winter will make for a rough time come summer. Not to mention the "Piles" that will start to appear after a few months.

I thought the same thing too. The other thing I came up with is maybe pulling a used gang reel with either my Kawi Mule or my pick 'em up truck. Still in the thinking stage. :D

Like whistlepig said, I like mowing, but don't want to spend all day once a week doing it.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #5  
Ok, I'm a little confused.:confused: You mention an L series Kubota and then you mention a SCUT. These are not the same size tractors. An L series tractor will take care of your place easily IMO. But a B series or a BX series would be a whole different set of conditions.

One of the problems with having a full size TLB for your only tractor is that you give up the ability to use any 3pt implements that you could otherwise use to make life easier.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #6  
Take 5-6 acres of your lawn area and convert it into a wildflower patch. It will be prettier and you will spend less time mowing. Get some honey bees after you have a good stand of wildflowers. Put some bird nest boxes up in the wildflower patch.

I keep on recommending these lawn mowing 'solutions', please don't be offended. :)
Dave.

Ok, I'm a little confused.:confused: You mention an L series Kubota and then you mention a SCUT. These are not the same size tractors. An L series tractor will take care of your place easily IMO. But a B series or a BX series would be a whole different set of conditions.

I know, I screwed that up. I actually meant a CUT, which is an L series, no?

A B or BX would definitely be too small. Figured that out a while back in another discussion.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #8  
Take 5-6 acres of your lawn area and convert it into a wildflower patch. It will be prettier and you will spend less time mowing. Get some honey bees after you have a good stand of wildflowers. Put some bird nest boxes up in the wildflower patch.

I keep on recommending these lawn mowing 'solutions', please don't be offended. :)
Dave.

One has to really love a large yard to put up with the hassle, expense, and time spent. Not for everyone.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #9  
I know, I screwed that up. I actually meant a CUT, which is an L series, no?

A B or BX would definitely be too small. Figured that out a while back in another discussion.

Yes, an L series tractor is a CUT. One of these would suit you well I think. I have a Case 580E TLB. While it is great to have a full size TLB, it is in no way a utility tractor. Keep in mind ALL the things that you MIGHT want to, or need to do.

Yes, an L series tractor is a CUT. One of these would suit you well I think. I have a Case 580E TLB. While it is great to have a full size TLB, it is in no way a utility tractor. Keep in mind ALL the things that you MIGHT want to, or need to do.

See that's just it. Yeah I might need a post hole digger once or twice, but I could rent one.

I could use the TLB for heavy lifting, digging much faster and deeper, moving around whatever needs to be moved, grading, etc. I see 580E and the like for cheap money all the time. Doesn't have to be pretty, just work.