maybey a dead cell in the battery???

/ maybey a dead cell in the battery??? #1  

TOMMYHPX4X4

Veteran Member
Tractor
gator hpx 4x4
i have a 08 700 rhino now there is no telling how long the battery was on the shelf before they put it into my rhino but here is my problem when i used to ride the volt meter was always reading 14 volts or over but today i went to pull my next door neighbor's forklift off a trailer and the battery was dead well i jumped it off but afetr riding it around all day i haven't been able to get it to read 14 volts it will go to 14 every so oflten but it mainly stays at 13.9 0r 13.6 could this be a dead cell?? i know it can't bee the charging system because if i rev up the motor the volts go up so i know thats workin any ideas???

/ maybey a dead cell in the battery??? #2  
Make sure You have GOOD grounds

/ maybey a dead cell in the battery??? #4  
Don't sweat the .4, it's most likely you and/or your leads.

What brand DVM ?

/ maybey a dead cell in the battery???
the dvm is built into the dash on the rhino nromally i wouldn't be worried about a .4 drop but i had to jump start it before that drop happened now it seems to not wanna go over 14v. just didn't wanna get stuck in the woods i might have to run me a 2 battery system like i did on my hpx it came in handy for these things when a dead battery happend to come along. i let her set all night and i'm gonna try to see what she does in a few hours hopefully she fires up again.

/ maybey a dead cell in the battery??? #6  
Typically the charging system will have to work harder to maintain a bad battery. Usually you will see voltage in the 15 volt range. A good battery will only accept so much charge. 13-14.5 volts is about normal. If you have any doubts do a specific gravity or load test on it if possible.

Last edited:
   / maybey a dead cell in the battery???
can't it's a sealed battery but it's reading normal again ??i'm gonna start work on a extra battery box as soon as i can just so i can have a spare battery .