McCormick IH 46 square baler needle

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #11  
Baler needles are malleable iron, hence ductile (not brittle). They can be bent quite a bit and are often bent deliberately to fit up thru the knotter assembly and close to the twine disks. In fact, the wiper arms are also soft iron and are supposed to be "adjusted" with a "forming" tool to wipe the tied knot off of the billhooks. Even if they are cracked, I bet you can have them welded or brazed using a nickel rod and they will last for long enough to hunt for a replacement. As I have often found, all you really need to do is park the replacement casting near the one you fixed 'cause the fixed one will never, ever let go. Good idea to find out why the needle bent, though, safety stop springs wore out?, wet plug, chain jumped, needle brake too loose, tucker finger springs missing, rock in the plunger, plunger off its track.
Nows the time to fix it. Haying should beging any day now ! Lets see some pictures of your repair job. I know you can do it ! If you have any questions about how to put it all together just post. You too can be a "baler man".

/ McCormick IH 46 square baler needle #12  
There are several operators manuals on eBay right now for your machine. Definitley worth $10 if you don't have one. It will have the knotter timing adjustment procedure in it. From the looks of things, the baler is nearly identical to the JD14T I use, (except for the fore/aft flywheel axis position). I still get new parts for my 14T from local dealers. I'll bet you can use the JD knotter parts right out of the box. Best if junk yard is available, new parts are expensive for the old girls.