McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix?

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #1  

nepa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi 180D, Jinma 284 sold, Kubota BX2660, IH Cub, Case 580CK, Minneapolis Moline 4 Star (sold), TYM 574, Furukawa FX-040
I recently bought a McCullough Eager Beaver, 2.0 cid, 14 inch bar chain saw for $10. No paper work, no indication on the saw as far as what gas/oil mix it should take. The previous owner had taped a chart for a 20:1 mixture. I made some up and the saw ran and cut well. But still, the 20:1 seems oil rich to me. Is that the right mix for this saw? I went to the McCullough web site and could find no info for this machine. The label on the saw with the model number was on the handle where it gets a lot of wear and was unreadable. Any info would be appreciated.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #2  
With todays oil. I run 40:1 in everything.

50:1 is just cutting it to close IMO. Seen big end bearings and crank bearing just not getting enough oil.
But if you like doing what EPA suggest folks tell you do and run 50. Go ahead. But I will never ever tell someone to run 50 myself. Brand shops have to tell you that. ;)

Just dont forget to tune carbs to mix you do run.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #3  
I thought the mix ratio was a function of the oil, not the saw, or what the manual written in 1976 says?

That is: if the oil says it's good for 50:1 or 40: 1 then that mix is ok; no matter if the saw manual says 20:1, and was written back when oils weren't as good?

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #4  
It is the OIL that determines the mix, NOT the piece of equipment. Most oils today are 50/1. Like the previous poster I use 40/1 mix in everything while using a 50/1 oil. Even my Dad's old craftsman saw from the 70's which gets limbered up every year for a run. That was from the 16/1 days. Runs like a top with the 40/1 mix.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #5  
Both my Stihl Op Manuals say - 50:1. I run them on 40:1 or even a tad richer. I'd rather foul a plug than worry about crank or end bearings. Oil is cheap compared to a new saw.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #6  
I recently bought a McCullough Eager Beaver, 2.0 cid, 14 inch bar chain saw for $10. No paper work, no indication on the saw as far as what gas/oil mix it should take. The previous owner had taped a chart for a 20:1 mixture. I made some up and the saw ran and cut well. But still, the 20:1 seems oil rich to me. Is that the right mix for this saw? I went to the McCullough web site and could find no info for this machine. The label on the saw with the model number was on the handle where it gets a lot of wear and was unreadable. Any info would be appreciated.

The McCulloch chainsaws are 40:1 at least when that one was made, owned that exact model and even sold a few as a McColluch dealer. There were a few older saws set up for 32:1 like some of the 10-10 and 700/800 series. McCulloch was still using a 40:1 mix when the were purchased by Husqvarna and basically discontinued.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #7  
Both my Stihl Op Manuals say - 50:1. I run them on 40:1 or even a tad richer. I'd rather foul a plug than worry about crank or end bearings. Oil is cheap compared to a new saw.

the newest thing is that by running with saw with richer than required mix can cause the saw to run lean. Because with more oil your are burning less fuel than is recommended. My personal thought is if a saw or other equipment is that sensitive to such a small difference in fuel ratio there is already a problem.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #8  
Will not run lean as long as you tune your carb to the mix. You always tune your saws to the mix your running. I ran 24:1 in gas racesaws. Wasnt lean because you tune the carbs to them.

But if a guy had a saw tuned for 50:1 and he did run it 40:1 yes it would be hair leaner. But I sure as heck hope any folks running OPE know to tune to their mix being used.

I can check my dads bought new eager beaver decal on saw. Think he bought it around 79-80. But IMO just tune saw to 40:1 mix

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #9  
The problem with a lot of new saws and other equipment is there is either very limited tuning capability, requires special wrench to adjust to no adjustment screws to adjust or like the new Husky 550's are electronically adjusted carbs.

/ McCullough Eager Beaver - What oil mix? #10  
Will not run lean as long as you tune your carb to the mix. You always tune your saws to the mix your running. I ran 24:1 in gas racesaws. Wasnt lean because you tune the carbs to them.

But if a guy had a saw tuned for 50:1 and he did run it 40:1 yes it would be hair leaner. But I sure as heck hope any folks running OPE know to tune to their mix being used.

Interesting.... So it would be running leaner, but does that still mean hotter (as we typically think when lean) if there's more oil?
Would you burn the top of the piston, but no scratches/scoring?