Measuring dirt

/ Measuring dirt
Right before you hear "...get outa my face!" /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Measuring dirt #13  
Woody:

Now that sounds like a proper description to me.
What did the English call the tall glasses that were used to hand ale up to coachmen so they did not have to dismount?

Egon

/ Measuring dirt #14  
Egon

If the coachmen were drinking tall glasses of ale, they would have to dismount at some point further down the line. Either that or the passengers were in for a rather unpleasant experience.

RonL

/ Measuring dirt #15  
Ron:
I'm not sure of the amount but the glass was tall so the Inn Maid could hand it up to the Coachman.
Now as for the Coachman perhaps timming coincided with the horses and no one the wiser.

Egon

/ Measuring dirt #16  
If you ever need to estimate the volume of a pile of something (assuming it's a perfect cone which it would only be if deposited by "pouring" from a single point and allowed to form a pile) the formula is 1/3 (pi)r(squared)h
or 1/3(3.14)radius squared(height of the pile). (The radius would be measured at the base of the pile) Pretty useful when getting deliveries of loose product dumped by a dump truck in a single pile

/ Measuring dirt #17  
Gerard:

Does this dump truck dump from a perfectly circular orfice at sufficient height to allow the material to fall into a cone coinciding with the natural angle of repose of dumped material?

Egon

/ Measuring dirt #19  
Maybe the glass served double duty? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Measuring dirt #20  
egon,
Not any that I've ever seen!! Thats' why it'll be an estimate but should be pretty close. As you intimated it would need to be dropped the way you described to form a perfect cone.....