Mehindra diesel hard starting

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #1  

curtisun

Tractor
Don't own a tractor but do repairs on them
A friend asked me to take a look at his Mehindra 3616 36hp diesel Tractor. He said it was hard to start after it has set for a day or two.
What has been tried to date.
1 Changed fuel filter.
2 Tried turning igntion on till glow plug light goes out repeting this several times before trying to start.

After your get it started from then on no matter how many times you kill it or even if it sets for several hours it will start easy. He also said
it does not matter what the outside temperature is. He said it could be 70 degrees and iot still takes a while to get it to start. He unloaded
here, which it started right up after hauling for 30 minutes. I just went outside and started it(this was about 3 hrs after unloading).
I turn on iginition and waited until glow plug indicator went out and hit the stater it turned over about two revolutions and started.

My plan is to first let it set until tomorrow. Try starting it. If it does not start on first try. I think I will put a clear hose on the fuel pump outlet
and see if any air bubbles is in it. If there is then that could be the problem with air in the fuel system.

Personal note about me. I do understand the basics of diesel engines because my father was a diesel mechcanic for most of his life and I was
helping him since I was knee high to a grass hopper 😂. But this was about 55 years ago so my memory of that is fuzzy.

Any sugggestions will be most Appricated.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #2  
I'm glad his glow plug light works. Put a voltmeter on a glow plug and see if it's actually getting power. If you're getting power to the glow plugs try testing them individually to see if they have continuity. They should read about 0.5 ohms each. If they're open they're no good. Some can short out and read zero ohms. Be sure to take your lead resistance into consideration. If the glow plugs are defective you can contact NGK for the proper number for that tractor. They'll probably be less expensive than going through the dealer.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting
Thank You for the information I will check the resistance and voltage tomorrow.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #4  
I found this to be super easy test on a 4 cylinder diesel I had years ago.
1) Be sure engine is cold (hard start mode).
2) Be sure you see glow plugs & easy access
3) Key on, glow plug light on then off, repeat a couple more times...do NOT start it!
4) Key off and feel glow plugs. A cold one is bad.

Thanks that is good to know.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #6  
Be advised - if you touch a good glow plug after putting power to it it will be HOT!! Touch quickly, do not linger.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #7  
If u put a clear line on it now and get it started, THEN let it sit.. you’ll be able to see the fuel bleed back thru the clear line.
More than likely it’s gonna be a supply pump issue..

If u put a clear line on it now and get it started, THEN let it sit.. you’ll be able to see the fuel bleed back thru the clear line.
More than likely it’s gonna be a supply pump issue..
I will try the easiest first then proceed to the more difficult tasks. The easiest will be checking the glow plugs and if they appear to be good then I will put a clear line on it and watch the flow for back flow or air in line. I have time on this he is not in a rush right now.

/ Mehindra diesel hard starting #10  
After glow plugs have been cycled I'll suggest to use ""laser thermometer not skin"" to check glow plug temp. I agree with TPGSC that fuel is probably leaking back to tank when engine isn't operating due to faulty or no fuel check valve