Members home made attachments / improvements

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #21  
Thanks J_J.

Now I am wondering about the necessity of the linkage. I mean, really, what's the point of it? I would suspect leverage and the ability to move the bucket past the line where the cylinder ram would rub the end of the dipper, but if you just used taller brackets on the bucket like that last one you show, I can't see a reason for the linkage. Please edjumacate me on the need for linkage. :eek:

/ Members home made attachments / improvements
MossRoad said:
Thanks J_J.

Now I am wondering about the necessity of the linkage. I mean, really, what's the point of it? I would suspect leverage and the ability to move the bucket past the line where the cylinder ram would rub the end of the dipper, but if you just used taller brackets on the bucket like that last one you show, I can't see a reason for the linkage. Please edjumacate me on the need for linkage. :eek:
I'm interested in this one too, as I plan to do a simple mini hoe along the lines of your fork lift hoe creation, just using square extension tube that plugs into a trailer hitch... For me the simpler the better. I'm not as interested in speed, as much as open / closing strength. :eek:

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #23  
MossRoad said:
Thanks J_J.

David, Barry

The linkage is designed for buckets that have the ears below the level of the boom. If you have a certain bucket design, as in the picture, you would not need a linkage. If you look at many different buckets like I have, they don't seem to have any set design. In my opinion, the linkage is there to allow the bucket to roll over past the horizontal line. Some people might want 180 degrees of curl, and that also lets you stow the bucket for transport. Just enough curl to hold dirt in would be enough, and if you add a grapple in the vertical position, that would work good. So my final opinion would be 180 degrees of curl is good, but 90 degrees will work also. This logic will dictate the bucket you buy or build, and whether you want to use linkage. It is desirable to have as straight a push as possible. The distance between the ears should be as small as possible, so you don't bend the bolts or rods holding the bucket.

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #24  
J_J said:
David, Here is a picture of a mini-hoe that doesn't use any brackets.
The bucket just has large ears. Looks very sturdy.

I believe this Mini-hoe belongs to someone on the PT forum. If they read this post, my question would be, did you build this bucket or buy as is?

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #25  
Barryh said:
I'm interested in this one too, as I plan to do a simple mini hoe along the lines of your fork lift hoe creation, just using square extension tube that plugs into a trailer hitch... For me the simpler the better. I'm not as interested in speed, as much as open / closing strength. :eek:

This bucket has three sets of holes for different applications. It would still need some roll over brackets.

Attachments

• 41465%20-%2012in%20Bobcat%20331%20bucket.jpg
    41465%20-%2012in%20Bobcat%20331%20bucket.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,860
   / Members home made attachments / improvements #26  
KentT said:
Wow, that first picture of the grapple-hoe looks like a monster...

How much weight can you pick up with it without experiencing PT pucker?

I'd like to find an affordable way to make a "tree/shrub scoop" -- I have plenty of little saplings I'd like to transplant...

There is a great and very simple plan on the TBN site that I am thinking about building as I am a beginner welder. Look around and you will find the plans, if not PM me and I will email them to you.

J_J said:
David, Barry

The linkage is designed for buckets that have the ears below the level of the boom. If you have a certain bucket design, as in the picture, you would not need a linkage. If you look at many different buckets like I have, they don't seem to have any set design. In my opinion, the linkage is there to allow the bucket to roll over past the horizontal line. Some people might want 180 degrees of curl, and that also lets you stow the bucket for transport. Just enough curl to hold dirt in would be enough, and if you add a grapple in the vertical position, that would work good. So my final opinion would be 180 degrees of curl is good, but 90 degrees will work also. This logic will dictate the bucket you buy or build, and whether you want to use linkage. It is desirable to have as straight a push as possible. The distance between the ears should be as small as possible, so you don't bend the bolts or rods holding the bucket.
Here's the bucket I'm buying, if you scroll down to the 8 inch version. It has ears so it shouldn't need any linkage? Lackender Skid-Loader Backhoe Pricing

I'm not worried about transport as I will just take it off as a unit when I want to transport it. I only need just enough curl to dig three foot down, and hopefully I'll be able to see what I am doing.

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #28  
Barryh said:
Here's the bucket I'm buying, if you scroll down to the 8 inch version. It has ears so it shouldn't need any linkage? Lackender Skid-Loader Backhoe Pricing

I'm not worried about transport as I will just take it off as a unit when I want to transport it. I only need just enough curl to dig three foot down, and hopefully I'll be able to see what I am doing.

You are right. That bucket that I posted earlier, looks like a Lackender bucket. It would save on trying to figure out the correct linkage. A 4X4 , or a 6X6 in , 1/4 in wall tubing should do the trick.

J_J said:
You are right. That bucket that I posted earlier, looks like a Lackender bucket. It would save on trying to figure out the correct linkage. A 4X4 , or a 6X6 in , 1/4 in wall tubing should do the trick.
Thanks, after I get the bucket, then I may get your advice on the correct cylinder, but more important the correct valve setup. That is if you don't mind me asking. I have a few cylinder's already picked out, but I'll wait until I get the bucket attached in the right mannor, then decide on the length of the tube. Then I can go from there. :rolleyes:

/ Members home made attachments / improvements #30  
Barryh said:

I have their backhoe. Nice peice of equipment (Thank you Ksimolo)