Members vs Guests, online

/ Members vs Guests, online #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
Every time I log in, the #'s are posted at the top of the page. Just now:

"This forum has 6,312,761 posts, 356,861 members and there are 73 members and 4,326 guests online."

356k+ members and only 73 are online, or "bother" to log in? The #'s are similar every day. Weird.

/ Members vs Guests, online #2  

"This forum has 6,312,761 posts, 356,861 members and there are 73 members and 4,326 guests online."

356k+ members and only 73 are online, or "bother" to log in? The #'s are similar every day. Weird.

I guess the only “benefit” in logging in is to be able to post?

Otherwise you can read everything you want or need.

I’m just guessing.

/ Members vs Guests, online #3  

There's always a few hundred members on line any time I log in, evidently a bunch of people have you on ignore.:cautious:

/ Members vs Guests, online
There's always a few hundred members on line any time I log in, evidently a bunch of people have you on ignore.:cautious:
Those figures are there BEFORE I log in, so that's not it. I/you can only interact with the group (post) if you log in. What's the fun of just reading the posts? 93 members online, just now.

/ Members vs Guests, online #6  
Those figures are there BEFORE I log in, so that's not it. I/you can only interact with the group (post) if you log in. What's the fun of just reading the posts? 93 members online, just now.
Maybe not as much fun but certainly more educational. Dad always said you learn more with your eyes and ears than from your mouth. 👨‍🎓

/ Members vs Guests, online #7  
Maybe not as much fun but certainly more educational. Dad always said you learn more with your eyes and ears than from your mouth.

Yep. My Mom’s favorite quote to us kids was “God gave you 2 ears and one mouth for a reason”.

/ Members vs Guests, online
Yep. My Mom’s favorite quote to us kids was “God gave you 2 ears and one mouth for a reason”.
another -- "Better to let them just THINK you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and CONFIRM it."

/ Members vs Guests, online #9  
Interesting, I feel Im not logged out even when I'm not online. I'll hastily think I log out by closing my browser however when I open browser again it directs me directly to this site, where I usually get sidetracked and forget what I was originally going online in the first place for, sometimes directed to same post I was reading when I thought I was leaving. Especially prevalent when I'm on my smarter than me phone, and not my older laptop or ancient desktop.

/ Members vs Guests, online #10  
Some benefits of logging in that I'm aware of off hand: You can see at a glance notifications of responses to your posts or to threads you are following (the bell icon in upper right of the banner). Also, you can more easily track "new posts" made since your previous login. It also lets you see alerts of any new private messages received (the envelope icon in the banner). But, depending on your settings, you can get alerts for some of this by email without logging.