Memories of your first time... a pleasure reading thread

/ Memories of your first time... a pleasure reading thread #21  
My first time was in about 1964 sitting in my Dad's lap on his first new tractor, a 1939 Allis Chalmers WC. Growing up on a cotton and soybean farm, I spent more time on a tractor than I did doing just about anything else. Other tractors have come and gone, but my brother still has the WC, and still bushogs with it.

/ Memories of your first time... a pleasure reading thread
Well, I just about had a visit to the old A-C plant (to see a generator rotor, not a tractor. I've been gone for a couple of days but have really enjoyed the stories.

It was beautiful today here near Pittsburgh, 60 deg and sunny. I got back from my trip (4 flights in 8 hops, starting Wed., redeye to get me home Sat AM.... whew.) Knocked down a couple of more trees, and got the tractor out again today to haul the wood. My ground must be steeper than I give it credit for, I scared myself but good a couple of times.

I think like MarkV said up the thread, I need an implement in the back and/or some filled tires or wheel weights. The wood in the bucket lifts the read wheels, esp going uphil, and it gets stuck pretty easy on tree roots, etc. The guy I bought it from had a table-top flat piece of land (really rare around here!) and so he didn't need the filled tires, weights, etc. If he needed to do his driveway (the only slope he had) he'd just back-blade it.

But my neighbor stopped over to see it and (much to DDW's chagrin) said again what a great machine it is for the parcel I have. I'm seeing awsome potential, but I really have to watch. Between the slimy, mossy dirt in the shade and the slopes & bumps, I had a time of it today. That box blad will have some work to do when I get these trees out of the way, that's for sure!

Ok, I screwed up my own thread with a "second time" story. Back to the first time stuff! It's really something how many of you who grew up with them were operating at 10 or 11 years old.

/ Memories of your first time... a pleasure reading thread #23  
well, 42 years ago...;) I learned how to run the super M. I was 9 at the time and had successfully run the drag over most of a 50 acre field when I heard this odd sound as I was turning. I looked behind me to see what the noise was and saw the drag up over my head. I had hook one of the braces on the tire as I turned. Next my dad taught me how to plow. I proceeded around the field as he watched when the plow caught an under ground tree root and the front of the tractor came about 6 feet off the ground before I could push in the hand clutch (WD-45). :eek: