Mercedes C300? Good and bad?

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Anyone have a C300?

Son still wants to spend his money on his first car. Seems like a decent deal on a C300, 2009 model.

Yes, a Mercedes (along with a corvette or BMW LMAO) would not be my first choice as a car as a teenager, but the kid has worked hard and saved, and overall has earned the right to do what he wants at this point. The car won't wipe out his bank account as it would only account for 60% of his savings (he graduates this upcoming year).

I get parts are not cheap, did find a couple of local decently rated mechanics for the brand name (dealerships have always scared me LOL).

Just wondering if there are any horror stories on the model/brand. I already figured out the vehicle requires premium fuel which is an added cost.

I did check the VIN number, at least the car is actually made in Germany.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #2  
New? Or aged?
A friend at work had a 300? S/W it aged well and he found it easy to work on.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #3  
I still have 1980 300SD (since 1990) and also 2008 E320 since 2016 - both are Turbo Diesels, and do all service & repairs myself.

Easy to work is relative - yes once you get used to M-B and have the factory shop manuals & right tools.

Here is my 300SD
Sept 27, 2008.jpg

Last edited:
   / Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #4  
German cars aren't that bad to own if you're a DIY'er, I have a 2010 BMW 335d that is deleted and tuned, 350Hp and 550Tq and still get 36Mpg on highway.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #5  
edit.

I would definitely pay a "Good" mechanic you trust, to go over the car before purchase.

Last edited:
   / Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #6  
Good car. I owned one for about 8 years, 2008 model year. Traded it in May of 2021. No horror stories, it was a very nice car. Down side is maintenance cost if going through a dealership. There is an "A" and "B" service, and they alternate. Can't remember which is more expensive, but routinely $500 - $600 for scheduled maintenance.

Edit to add that mine had very low mileage when I bought it in 2013 (8,000 miles), and only had about 30,000 when I traded it in.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #7  
They are nice cars but check it over with a mechanic. As you stated parts and labor will really add up . With my daughter I talked her into a Toyota Rav 4 . She balked at first but the Wisconsin winters changed her mind . She drove that little SUV 5 years and we sold it for 400 dollars less than what we payed . I call that a good investment. Good luck in his search and keep us informed of his choice.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad?
MARK.png

The ONLY that irritates the living snot out of me is he admitted to us that the kids at school think that his parents "gave him" this car. I told him to tell everyone that his dad wouldn't be stupid enough to buy his son a Mercedes as his first car LMFAO. That said, I'm actually impressed with the way it drives and handles. VERY comfortable. Also impressed with the safety rating.

Car would be neither my wife or my first choice. That said, only thing that needed to be done was spark plugs due to the mileage which he figured he'd need anyway.

Met the older woman selling it (sold by her daughter) and the seemed like good people (ironically enough, german woman with heavy german accent LOL). Test was the mechanic, and my son rolled the dice buying it beforehand, but seemed liked he lucked out.

He listens, saves and pretty much is a good kid. We decided after he passed on a vette along with BMW Z4, if this is what he wanted, it was HIS choice to live with.

Last edited:
   / Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #9  
I bet his friends are impressed. Pretty nice car for a young man.

He won't be disappointed with the car. Just tell him he needs to save up some money if he plans to have it serviced at a Mercedes dealership.

/ Mercedes C300? Good and bad? #10  
German cars aren't that bad to own if you're a DIY'er, I have a 2010 BMW 335d that is deleted and tuned, 350Hp and 550Tq and still get 36Mpg on highway.
I would get a 90's model or older. I heard the newer ones have crazy things like plastic water pump impellers.
As long as my kid was willing to do the maintenance or have the money to get it repaired when it breaks I wouldn't have an issue with it.