Metal Body

/ Metal Body #11  
I like my 2002 NH.. one o fthe 4 digit models that still has metal body parts vs most of the "T" series which are palstic and Fg.. etc.

rust? Just need good paintt o keep rust at bay..

I'm quite sure my 50 and 60 year old antiques would not look as good as they do if they would of had palstic body parts.. as i'm sure they would no longer exist today.. however the metal ones are just fine..

Soundguy

/ Metal Body #12  
Soundguy said:
I'm quite sure my 50 and 60 year old antiques would not look as good as they do if they would of had palstic body parts.. as i'm sure they would no longer exist today.. however the metal ones are just fine..

Soundguy

Exactly! In 25 years will you even be able to buy a replacement plastic fender, hood, cowl? When will the UV exposure make it brittle and crack? 10 years? 20? 30? I know how to mend a cracked or dented metal piece, but plastic?

Besides, my magnetic coffee cup slips off the plastic fender....

jb

/ Metal Body #13  
Yep.. in the long run.. I don't see the plastic parts holding up as well.. or having replacement parts as readilly available.

Soundguy

/ Metal Body #14  
Plastics are certainly wonderful and in many applications are THE best material for the job. But in this case, I think metal is the way to go. There are so many things you can do with a metal fender, for example, like bolting stuff on or welding stuff to it...like we all do when we add trinkets to our tractors...especially those that need to be grounded. I don't know if plastic would hold up to that?

/ Metal Body #15  
While there are alot of good plastics.. especially the 'space age' expensive ones... I still don't think they have one that has the uv resistance of metal.. (grin).

Soundguy

/ Metal Body #16  
UV resistance of metal -- Ha good one!

/ Metal Body #17  
Seems to me there are quite a few old fiberglass boats still around, maybe even a corvett or two. I have two very servicable 25 year old ABS canoe's that have sat outside their entire life.

Fiberglass replacement parts are much easier to make than metal ones for out of stock items. [ replacement fenders for older chevy trucks ]

Most new cars employ a lot of pastic in the fenderwell bumper areas as well as lower body panels.

/ Metal Body #18  
Agreed that FG is easiy to fabricate ( more so than metal pressings ).. however.. I don't see too many vett's driving thru underbrush and limbs and rocks.. same with boats and canoo's.. thus.. i think their use of fiberglass is appropriate... It's also lighter and rust proof...

Soundguy

/ Metal Body #19  
Them streaams and rivers do have a lot of rocks and there are times they and the canoes make contact.

/ Metal Body #20  
Egon said:
Seems to me there are quite a few old fiberglass boats still around, maybe even a corvett or two. I have two very servicable 25 year old ABS canoe's that have sat outside their entire life.

Fiberglass replacement parts are much easier to make than metal ones for out of stock items. [ replacement fenders for older chevy trucks ]

Most new cars employ a lot of pastic in the fenderwell bumper areas as well as lower body panels.

Egon I now live in KY, I lived in FL for 7 years though. One thing I noticed is the increased UV down there rots plastic about 4X as fast as in KY, so I expect that it would be reduced to a 16X slower factor up where you are as compared to FL.
The cheap plastic/resin lawn chairs last 4-5 years up here in KY. In FL it was about 1 yr. White plastic PVC pipe left in FL sun is brittle in 6 mos.