Metal found during transmission fluid change

/ Metal found during transmission fluid change #11  
When I was fixing motorcycles in the 70's, I had my own set of frustrations. There was a shop, equipment service and parts manuals etc. I'd see a couple of guys pushing an old British bike up the shop drive, and I just knew that everybody in the world had tried to work on it. I knew I'd end up sorting through layer after layer of problems and screwed up work, and end up getting about $1.00/hr.

I also knew that tune-ups were gravy. I could do a good job in about 1/4 the flat rate time. However, I had an attitude that the tune-ups enabled me to spend enough time to fix the problem cases. I figured that if the tune up customers stuck with the shop long enough, then they'd end up with an elusive problem or two and would have the advantage of somebody working at far below shop rates--sort of like insurance I guess.

Anyway, it is frustrating to have a high fixed cost operation and see people take routine work to cut rate shops and bring then you the problems nobody else can fix. There were compensations though. Most riders around the city recognized me, but I don't imagine people who wrenched in the cut-rate places had much of a recognition factor.

Anyway, I do know something about the costs of running a shop. I also know that every successful shop has a style that attracts a particular clientele. High-end shops are frustrating to work in because most people take their work to lower rate places. When somebody does come, half of the time they grudgingly acknowledge that the problem was fixed, but they're still cranky about the price. I still think I'd rather work in a high-end shop and have the attitude that if people want something fixed real bad, then they just have to pay enough to keep that type of service in business. I wouldn’t mind if they called the rates ridiculous.

Right now, I use an independent garage for my 1/2 ton and try to keep it out of both the dealer and the muffler shop places. Besides, the independent is the only place very close, and I really want this guy to stay in business. He changes the oil, because I really want him around if the truck gets a serious problem.