Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install?

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #11  
Is this 2000sqft of roof like you said or 2000sqft of living space under the roof? If it is like you say my roof would be in the $20K range. I am haveing my roof reshingled as we speak. Its around 4000sqft of shingles! My home is less that that of liveable sqft, more like 3000under the roof.

The house 38 by 46 with 2 ft overhangs. About a 3.5x12 pitch.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install?
Update: I got the same company that did the roof across the street to give me a firm quote, with 4 options:

1) Lay 30# felt (tar paper) directly on my old shingles & screw the new metal right to that: $11,199

1a) Add $1,866 to the above to remove old shingles/ felt: $13,065

2) Lay a bubble wrap layer on the old shingles, then 1x4 purlins, then screw the new metal to that: $13,865 (the bubble wrap has a thin foil layer on both sides, & he claims that this wrap in combination with my existing shingles & felt provides an additional R30 insulation barrier - Not sure I buy that, but ...)

2a) Add $1,866 to the above to remove old shingles/ felt: $15,731

All prices include new eave drip, rake trim & transition metal, 26 gauge roofing metal, new pipe flashings, new ridge cap, permit/ inspection(s), 40-year manufacturer's warranty, 5-year warranty on workmanship.

He did say that installing new metal over older, curling shingles will result in wavy metal, but ...

... Since my shingles aren't curling, just loss of gravel & becoming brittle with corners starting the break off, I'm thinking about proceeding with the cheapest quote: Keep old shingles & lay the felt & metal right on the shingles.

A galvanize metal roof on my house will finally make the house match my barn, which I've looked forward to since building the barn about 8 years ago :)

What do you think? Will I be sorry??

Crud, just remembered rtimgray said the old shingles/ felt will deteriorate the new screws ... Hmmmm.

Crud, so the surest thing would appear to be the most expensive, of course: Remove old shingles, new felt, install purlins, & screw the new metal to those. Figures :eek:

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #13  
I have had good luck with putting down 2x4 vertically and across with the metal roofing on that - all on top of old shingles. I did it to provide breathing to get rid of an ice dam I had every year with shingles. It works. I provide air entry and escape top, bottom and sides.
Good idea to raise the metal roof up it bit- decreases it sweating.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #14  
Update: I got the same company that did the roof across the street to give me a firm quote, with 4 options:

1) Lay 30# felt (tar paper) directly on my old shingles & screw the new metal right to that: $11,199

1a) Add $1,866 to the above to remove old shingles/ felt: $13,065

2) Lay a bubble wrap layer on the old shingles, then 1x4 purlins, then screw the new metal to that: $13,865 (the bubble wrap has a thin foil layer on both sides, & he claims that this wrap in combination with my existing shingles & felt provides an additional R30 insulation barrier - Not sure I buy that, but ...)

2a) Add $1,866 to the above to remove old shingles/ felt: $15,731

All prices include new eave drip, rake trim & transition metal, 26 gauge roofing metal, new pipe flashings, new ridge cap, permit/ inspection(s), 40-year manufacturer's warranty, 5-year warranty on workmanship.

He did say that installing new metal over older, curling shingles will result in wavy metal, but ...

... Since my shingles aren't curling, just loss of gravel & becoming brittle with corners starting the break off, I'm thinking about proceeding with the cheapest quote: Keep old shingles & lay the felt & metal right on the shingles.

A galvanize metal roof on my house will finally make the house match my barn, which I've looked forward to since building the barn about 8 years ago :)

What do you think? Will I be sorry??

Crud, just remembered rtimgray said the old shingles/ felt will deteriorate the new screws ... Hmmmm.

Crud, so the surest thing would appear to be the most expensive, of course: Remove old shingles, new felt, install purlins, & screw the new metal to those. Figures :eek:

I'm sure you could use stainless or ceramic coated fasteners that would resist corrosion better. I'm just relating the experience that I had. In the end, it's your place and your roof - I would just hate to have to do it again in 10 years.

We had a windstorm during the summer and I had to replace half of my roof, which was only 7 years old (shingles). As much as I hated to, i tore the whole thing off and replaced it. It was a good thing, because I found a few places where the plywood decking was bowing (nails were pulling out of rafters). Nothing severe, but it was super easy to fix since I was already there.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Take care.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #15  
I'm sure you could use stainless or ceramic coated fasteners that would resist corrosion better. I'm just relating the experience that I had. In the end, it's your place and your roof - I would just hate to have to do it again in 10 years.

We had a windstorm during the summer and I had to replace half of my roof, which was only 7 years old (shingles). As much as I hated to, i tore the whole thing off and replaced it. It was a good thing, because I found a few places where the plywood decking was bowing (nails were pulling out of rafters). Nothing severe, but it was super easy to fix since I was already there.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Take care.

Did you not have insurance? They should have paid for this and not you, after all thats what you have it for, to protect your investment from things nature related.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #16  
You might consider asking someone you trust , other than the Co. that gave you the quote, if the old shingles will curl under the metal roof from heat and then cause your roof to be wavy but also to leak....I hate to say...I still say for that much money...and a little extra to strip the old and have all new..I would go for the start from scratch...but that's just me...Good Luck.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #17  
Did you not have insurance? They should have paid for this and not you, after all thats what you have it for, to protect your investment from things nature related.

Is that what I pay insurance premiums for? I thought it was just so that my agent could have a new boat!

Yes, I had/have insurance; yes, they paid for a portion of it: the lowest estimate from a contractor minus my deductable. I chose to purchase the materials and perform the work myself to minimize the cost. The end result was that basically the insurance payment covered the materials; I covered the labor. It was a wash monetarily, but I worked on it for the better portion of 5 days.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #18  
I spent 15 years in construction management and never would I approve putting a roof over a roof...rather loose the job then do it wrong. Shingles curl from drying out, which means they dry out if they are covered or not... on your roof or in the back of your truck, they will dry out and curl over time from heat cycles. Metal over an existing roof will also breed moisture/mold/rot...your pitch is not that bad, get yourself a gator shovel and park your bucket in the right spot, with a buddy to run buckets and a few family members to rake the strays you should be able to strip it in an afternoon. Just keep several tarps handy in case the weather acts up.

Bubble wrap and an existing roof is not R-30

Spring for stainless fasteners.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #19  
Have any of you with metal roof's checked with your local fire dept and asked there opinions of metal roofing materials? I know I am thinking about the worst but if there were a fire the roofing material can make several differences. Just a thought.

/ Metal roofing over aging shingles - Correct way to install? #20  
Is that what I pay insurance premiums for? I thought it was just so that my agent could have a new boat!

Yes, I had/have insurance; yes, they paid for a portion of it: the lowest estimate from a contractor minus my deductable. I chose to purchase the materials and perform the work myself to minimize the cost. The end result was that basically the insurance payment covered the materials; I covered the labor. It was a wash monetarily, but I worked on it for the better portion of 5 days.

Just had my roof replaced. One of the larger roofing businesses in my town did the job and the end bill will cost me nothing out of pocket. These guys have it figured out so that the estimate minus your deductable ends up being the estimated price. So insurance said roof would cost 9k minust 1K deductable left me 8K which is what job cost. They were $0.40 some cents apart actually on what he quoted vs what i got paid.