MF 1235 or 1240?

/ MF 1235 or 1240? #1  

clattin

I'm looking at two MF tractors at two different dealers. Not a whole lot of difference on the surface, but hopefully you guys can shed some light on the differences and help me decide!

1. MF 1235/FEL/Hydro with 900 hours. Tractor is in nice shape and I can pick it up for $11K out the door.

2. MF 1240/FEL/Shuttle with 250 hours. Tractor is in pristine condition and it's listed at $12K out the door.

I'll be maintaining 5 acres of mostly woods and will be clearing some land (so hopefully will be putting a sub-frame mounted backhoe on) and doing some loader work for general landscaping and using a post hole digger for some fencing I need to run for our goats. Probably get a back blade or box scraper too.

Your thoughts?

Thx,
Clattin

/ MF 1235 or 1240? #2  
clattin, I purchased a new MF1235 MFWD in July 2001. The new price was 14K with turf tires, HST Trans, mid PTO, front weight frame. The FEL with 54" bucket and joystick control was 2.2K. The 72" MMM was another 3K. You did not tell me what year the tractors were manufactured. I use mine for mostly mowing, and it works very well. Sometimes I wish I had more power and weight, but over all I am satisfied with my MF1235. The MF1240 engine has the same power and torque as the MF1235, but I think the MF1240 might be slightly heavier. There is a site called "old iron" that lists tractors for sale and their prices. You could check there and get some idea of the going prices.

/ MF 1235 or 1240? #3  
clattin, Well for pristine and a little newer with only 250 hrs. I would probably take the 1240 with the shuttle trans.Also a backhoe might like the added weight of the 1240

But its going to be your tractor , Have you driven both tractors ? do you like hydro? Maintenance been good for both tractors?

Decesions, Decesions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Good luck in your choice, and let us know (pictures are a must) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ MF 1235 or 1240? #4  
clattin- The date on your post is a couple weeks old, so maybe you already have made your purchase, but just in case you haven't I own a 1240 and am very pleased with it. I own about 5ac but also maintain the 5ac next door, so about 10 ac total. Power is more than I ever need and the shuttle transmission is very nice as its a 16 speed, either forward or reverse plus most of the gears are syncronized so you can shift without stopping. The 1240 also has a live independent PTO that really makes attachments easy to control. Its also very quiet, in fact its the quietest machine I've ever owned. I brush hog mostly with it, but also do snow removal and general grading using a 66" boxblade. Overall for that price I think you can't go wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif