MF 135 Electrical issue

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #1  

jjlanotte

Bronze Member
Tractor
1969 MF135 Perkins Gas
So I went to start up my MF135 Perkins Gas for the first time this year and Im not getting much from it. I hear a single click from the 12v regulator and thats it. No movement of the instrument gauges. Does not attempt to turn over at all. So far I've tested and replaced, for good measure, the nuetral safety switch. Both were in good working order altho the old one was pretty nasty. The battery is only a year old and it tests fine, its fully charged. I get voltage to the ignition coil. And thats where Im at right now. Any suggestions?

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #2  
Does it have an old style relay operated regulator?

I hate to start touching stuff that is fine, only to compromise that connection for future trouble.

Of course, I would start at the battery connections. In neutral, did you try jumping the starter? That would tell you, battery is OK, and battery connections, starter connections, starter and solenoid.

12 volts is the worlds worst vehicle voltage, well except for 6 volts. A connection may allow small current and show good on a meter but not allow large currents.

/ MF 135 Electrical issue
It has what I am assuming is the original 12v regulator as it is still riveted in to the support bracket. I have a new one that came today but didn't get a chance to mess with it. Im not sure what you mean by jumping the starter, can you elaborate on how to do that?

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #4  
I almost don't want to, because it can be dangerous. I know a guy that starts his old ALLIS twenty times a day like that.

Anyway, using a wrench or big screwdriver (that isn't valuable), you short the positive lead coming from the battery on the starter to the starter terminal, (the link going from the solenoid to the starter motor proper).

A good way to get run over if the tractor is in gear.

Eh, Im good with not dying. I'd probably just continue to do that instead of fixing the actual issue. Any chance the 12v regulator being bad would give me all these symptoms? Or advice on what to trouble shoot next?

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #6  
How competant are you? The importance of Good connections cannot be stressed enough. And more than that, are Good connections that will continue to be good. Anyone can make a tractor start or brake lights work for the moment and even give themselves the high five!.

I don't know much about old school regulators. But I'm guessing no, it would just have an effect on the charging, not charging or over charging of your battery.

I'm fairly competent. I'm an aircraft mechanic, not a tractor mechanic :). I do have all the manuals/IPC for the thing as well. I'm just not much of a spark chaser I usually do engine work. I've been through this tractor a lot since I've owned it. Stopped every leak, got her running like a top. I just haven't really had many electrical issues.

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #8  
Man I have a leak for you. Something I have been putting off tackling this week. You come fix my hydraulic leak and I will fix your electrical. Can you get good air plane ride rates? Or just borrow one like that other mechanic a while ago. But return it, unscratched. Maybe a "test" flight. lol

/ MF 135 Electrical issue #9  
Basically, the B+ has to go to the ignition switch, then starter portion of that or seperate switch and then to the strater solenoid (through the safety switches at some point).

Ha, I've ripped out my PTO to replace all its bearings and everything when it was leaking, it worked, so i could probably fix yours. I work on corporate jets, will it be ok to send one of those?