Loader MF 135 in need of a loader

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #1  

Domino2332

I am looking at purchasing a MF 135 and having a loader put on to do some light landscaping work...They have a 1501 international loader with a 6' bucket...Two questions 1) Can the 135 handle a loader? 2) Can it handle this loader for this type of work? Thanks for the help~

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #2  
I had similar thoughts for my 135 a few years ago. Many will tell you that the front axles aren't strong enough for heavy loader work, some others say the front end will take it. For me the deciding factor wasn't so much the front end, I think I could have been careful enough not to try to do too much, but with standard steering it would have been a bear to operate and I'm not interested in installing power assist steering.

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #3  
To me its not just a front end issue. The hydraulics on the 135 are kinda marginal for loader work.

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #4  
I had similar thoughts for my 135 a few years ago. Many will tell you that the front axles aren't strong enough for heavy loader work, some others say the front end will take it. For me the deciding factor wasn't so much the front end, I think I could have been careful enough not to try to do too much, but with standard steering it would have been a bear to operate and I'm not interested in installing power assist steering.

Correctomundo--an FEL on a 135 is no joy. The front axles are spindly and the "power assisted steering" is pretty marginal--it's not true power steering with a large hydraulic ram down on the front axle. It's a dinky little hydraulic assist gizmo in the steering column. You really get an upper body workout driving the 135 around the field without an FEL. Add the weight of the FEL and bucket contents and you'll not be happy operating your 135 for any extended period of time. My 1964 MF135 diesel drives like a tank in muck compared to my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (with the ML250 FEL) that has true power steering.

Good luck.

/ MF 135 in need of a loader
Thanks for the thoughts...Sounds like I ay need to do some more research to find the right tractor for me...One that is reliable and can act as a good hobby farm tractor for under 8K...

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #6  
To me its not just a front end issue. The hydraulics on the 135 are kinda marginal for loader work.

Yeah with my 135 hydraulics, I couldn't load a slice of tomato onto a sandwich.

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #7  
The other problem is a loader on a 2WD tractor. You lose a lot of traction even when there is no load on the FEL. Lots of slipping.

/ MF 135 in need of a loader #8  
I can see all the points mentioned so far - I have a 135 ... and a MF40 with FEL. The '40 is an industrial - a real machine - very capable, 2WD but heavy, with a strong front axle and 7.50-16" tyres, power-assisted steering, and with a real 72" loader, 50 years old, but designed to keep working ... and she still does, really well. The 135 is a legendary agricultural-spec tractor great for the work it was designed for, to which a FEL can be fitted ... however ... it is overall a lighter machine, the 6.00-16 front tyres and 3-piece front axle's load-carrying capacity is limited, lack of power steering is also a valid point. That said, a FEL of a sensible capacity on that tractor, complemented with a rear counterweight, operated in a sensible manner and within its limits would make it a very cost-effective machine for a hobby farm or acreage residence. It would just take a bit longer to do what the '40 will, but the ground compaction aspect (especially in damp soil) would be much less of a concern. Ensure the components which will be facing higher loads (front axle and tyres, steering box, linkages, joints etc) are well serviced, maintained and lubricated. The steering boxes on these tractors are getting really worn nowadays, but they're very easy to overhaul and reset clearances and preloads. Ensure it actually HAS oil in it! A lot have had it all leak out - won't last long then! A product called "Liquid Grease" from I think Castrol, or an equivalent, is a much better option ... it won't leak out!
Go for it, I say!

Last edited:
   / MF 135 in need of a loader #9  
I've owned a Ferguson TO-35 , with a Wagner FEL, for 42 years. PatrickS222 ( above) makes some good points about the agricultural versions of these tractors. I don't have power steering, so the weight of the FEL has to be compensated with a heavy implement on the rear 3 point hitch.
My 5 foot scraper blade or my 5 foot bush hog are both adequate as counter balances , without any bucket on the FEL. ( I don't usually mount the bucket . ) I use the FEL mainly for lifting equipment , engines, etc. up to about 1000 lbs. With the bucket mounted ( it's a rather narrow bucket) , and dirt or gravel in the bucket, steering becomes much more difficult. At some point before I acquired this tractor, someone seems to have overloaded the front axle, and the rear hole of the casting for the axle pivot tube broke. I made a repair using an extended U bolt affair that transfers the weight to the bottom of the casting. The hydraulics for the FEL come from a separately front mounted pump, driven from the front of the engine.
Overall, I consider an FEL to be extremely useful , but be conservative with the weight you lift if you have the light duty agricultural front axle. And, don't overload any implement mounted on the rear 3 point hitch with excessive extra weight, since I also broke the link with the adjustable length gearbox ( attaches to lower lift arm) when I tried to put 4 concrete blocks on my scraper blade for extra weight.