MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #61  
Ok sent you message

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power
   / MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #64  
I have talked to them, they don't have it. If you can google it and find it, I have talked to them at this point. I have been sending emails out to salvage places and tractor shops across the country.

Stuart
Here’s one to perhaps try. They’ve been helpful finding parts for my MF 135 diesel.

T & H Sales & Salvage

PO Box 276 Pavo GA 31778-0276
Tel: 229-859-2643

I have a good lead on the distributor shaft, so I am starting to think about getting this thing put back together.

I am reading through the shop manual you all provided. mf135_mf150_mf165_shop_service : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

On page 16 of the online reader or Page 30 of the scanned manual there is a whole section on the "Distributor Drive Shaft". I am trying to figure out how to align it correctly. Remember, I am just a do-it-yourselfer, so I get the concepts but have very little practical knowledge on a lot of this stuff.

The instructions keep talking about aligning things to the 12 degree timing mark and No. 1 Piston is coming up on compression stroke. How do I do this part???

Here is an excerpt from the manual I am referring to.

1701973290399.png

Thanks!
Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #66  
Do you have front cover off

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #67  
I have had the same problem a longtime ago on a Massey 202. Inspect the camshaft gear closely while turning the crank to see if there is damage to the camshaft gear. Mine was a tired old machine so it was parted out. (Think it was a 4 cyl continental)

Do you have front cover off
I do have the timing cover off.

This picture was from last week. I have cleaned things up a bit. I do know where the timing window is on the flywheel, so I am assuming I set that to 12 degrees? Just not sure how I do the compression part... or how I would set the compression and 12 degree on the flywheel.

1701975331852.png

Stuart

I have a good lead on the distributor shaft, so I am starting to think about getting this thing put back together.

I am reading through the shop manual you all provided. mf135_mf150_mf165_shop_service : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

On page 16 of the online reader or Page 30 of the scanned manual there is a whole section on the "Distributor Drive Shaft". I am trying to figure out how to align it correctly. Remember, I am just a do-it-yourselfer, so I get the concepts but have very little practical knowledge on a lot of this stuff.

The instructions keep talking about aligning things to the 12 degree timing mark and No. 1 Piston is coming up on compression stroke. How do I do this part???

Here is an excerpt from the manual I am referring to.

View attachment 836025

Thanks!
Stuart
I think I have figured it out.

I can move the flywheel with a screw driver and old it in place. I can turn the pully at the front of the engine to move the pistons and using a gauge or contraption in this video I can determine if I am coming up on the compression stroke to find TDC (Top Dead Center). Learning all sorts of new stuff.

Stuart

/ MF 135 Perkins Gas 3 Cylinder Backfiring no Power #70  
The dot on the flywheel will be the hard part. Make sure if you see it that you take a felt pen and mark it good. It doesn't hurt to mark it on the front of the engine somewhere also. That way you have a rough idea where it is.

The compression stroke on #1 is easy. Just hold your finger tightly over #1 spark plug hole and when compression starts to push it off you are on the compression stroke. Keep turning in the direction of normal engine rotation till you see the dot in the window and you should be where you are supposed to be.