mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one #1  

joetrotter

Tractor
massey ferguson 135
Hey guys,

Parked my 135 in the shed and haven't started it for a few weeks. Went to start it and it was stuck in a forward gear. I know its in a forward gear beacause it moves forward but its up against the wall. I thought I was sure it was stuck in 2nd so I pulled the filler plug and saw the 2nd/3rd gear fork/gears move slightly when I moved the shift lever. In my unexperienced mind the gears looked like stuck in 2nd, but with the 2nd/3rd gear forks slightly moving when I moved the shift lever it seems that means its stuck in 1st gear. But fork and big gear don't seem forward. I noticed the rail moves with the fork too. Is that normal? I thought the fork slid on the rail. I tried using the screwdriver method thru the filler hole, but no luck. Now I am really confused, but that doesn't supprise me. Any suggestions? If I need to take off the transmission cover, is it hard and any advise? I don't miind, and actually would like to try it.

Any suggestions, advise would be greatly appreciated.

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one #2  
Just a quick attempt before taking anything apart. Are you able to get a jack up under the axle and attempt rocking the tires to see if the Trans gears are in a slight bind as it sits up against the wall.

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one
I can try that. If I can spin the gears with a screw driver when I press the clutch in does that rule that out?

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one #4  
Hey guys,

Parked my 135 in the shed and haven't started it for a few weeks. Went to start it and it was stuck in a forward gear. I know its in a forward gear beacause it moves forward but its up against the wall. I thought I was sure it was stuck in 2nd so I pulled the filler plug and saw the 2nd/3rd gear fork/gears move slightly when I moved the shift lever. In my unexperienced mind the gears looked like stuck in 2nd, but with the 2nd/3rd gear forks slightly moving when I moved the shift lever it seems that means its stuck in 1st gear. But fork and big gear don't seem forward. I noticed the rail moves with the fork too. Is that normal? I thought the fork slid on the rail. I tried using the screwdriver method thru the filler hole, but no luck. Now I am really confused, but that doesn't supprise me. Any suggestions? If I need to take off the transmission cover, is it hard and any advise? I don't miind, and actually would like to try it.

Any suggestions, advise would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using the method in Big Deans Massey Ferguson website on page two. I can't attach the link for you but someone else can. I'm not sure this is the problem you are describing.

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one #5  
Put the Hi-Lo-start lever in the middle, start position to take away the gear tension. Now go through the filler plug and move the first-reverse fork/shift rail assembly to neutral until the gear shift lever will cross over as it should. Both shift forks have set screws in the rail and they do move together. No need to relieve gear tension by jacking up a wheel IF you shift the range lever to start. Just don't shift it fast and it won't happen again.

/ mf 135 stuck in gear and cant tell which one
hey guys,

thanks for all the responses. After looking into the filler plug with a very bright light I could see third gear aligned with the gear underneasth it which meant it was stuck in third gear not first as thought. The shift lever was engaged in the 2nd/3rd gear fork and hadn't jumped. Eventually I was able to keep popping the shift lever and it moved. Glad to have it going again. Don't know if this a problem that happens at times like the shifter jumping to the wrong fork or if it indicates a real problem.