MF 165 Alternator

/ MF 165 Alternator #1  

bannerd

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
When I bought my tractor it was converted to an alternator. Went to put it to work yesterday and the battery was shot. After checking the alternator it was giving me 0v on DC from the alternator. Is there any special alternator I need to buy? Let me know your thoughts.

/ MF 165 Alternator #2  
Some alternators need battery voltage supplied to them before they will begin to charge. This is because they use electro magnets instead of permanent magnets. Can you determine what alternator was installed?

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ MF 165 Alternator
Looks like the following, I believe it's a Chevy alternator from AutoZone. Prong one goes to the ammeter, prong two connects to the positive stud on the alternator. I've taking the connection off and I tried to energize it from prong one to the positive but nothing happen. I was reading online it prong one sometimes can trick the alternator into producing power at low rpms. I was hoping I would get a spark but no. The battery is unhooked for now, I'll need to get it on the charger.

2010-12-09_001119_alternator.jpg

/ MF 165 Alternator #4  
Yep, that's the one. It won't charge until there is voltage in the system. You can check if the magnet is energized by placing a screwdriver on the back center hub. It should have a magnetic pull. If not then your electromagnets are not getting voltage and thus zero charging.

/ MF 165 Alternator
Okay, I'll try that tonight after work. Thanks!

/ MF 165 Alternator
Yep, that's the one. It won't charge until there is voltage in the system. You can check if the magnet is energized by placing a screwdriver on the back center hub. It should have a magnetic pull. If not then your electromagnets are not getting voltage and thus zero charging.

Looks like I need a new alternator. There is no magnetic pull with the tractor not running or running.

/ MF 165 Alternator #7  
If you've replaced the battery already I'd bet you're right. Hopefully you can find a good deal on a replacement.

/ MF 165 Alternator #8  
thats a 3 wire hookup

pos from battery thru ammeter to big BAT post on alt..

jumper from bat post on alt to pin 2... ( voltage sensing / regulating circuit )

wire from ignition switch thru light (or diode) to pin 1 .... or to test , start engine and quickly touch pin 1 to pin 2 to excite the windings