MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking #11  
G,Day DaButcher.
Maybe leveled done two jobs for the price of one ???.
Yes so now you know that it is most likely number four gudgeon or Big end bearing providing the engine has not been run for to long and with a bit of luck the crankshaft could be o.k.
happy Days .
Hutch.

/ MF 165 knocking #12  
Interesting, did you figure that out before engine disassembly? If so could you explain how? The knock appears to go away when I crack the injector line that goes to the rear cylinder.

Hutch that is good info. Based on your explanation I will remove the front axle assembly.

no It took me a while to figure it out untill I pulled of the transmission top cover to find that one of the gears was missing two teeth. At first it was really faint knock then it got worse no matter what I did to the tractor it was always there I ended up selling it in three pieces! to bad i dont still have it I would have sold you the engine. i loved that tractor it was a beast.

/ MF 165 knocking
With a serial number of 9A 145013 tractor appears to be a 1972 model, not 1974. I have not found the engine serial number yet, but this page MF100Part2 says the "updated" diesel has exhaust on the right and mine is on the left so at this point I think this tractor has a AD4.203 engine. Detroit factory is indicated because of the lights being fender mounted instead of on the grill. Hope I don't bore you guys with this little bit of research.

/ MF 165 knocking #14  
I've seen several Perkins that the knock was actually a bad injector!!! Yes they sounded like rod bearings out. The first one was torn apart by a shop and they didn't catch it till it went back together and they had it running. The second in our shop was caught right off and by moving the one injector to another cylinder the knock went with it!!!

/ MF 165 knocking
I've seen several Perkins that the knock was actually a bad injector!!!

Thanks for that art.......easy enough to eliminate before tearing into the engine. Do you know what the pop pressure is on these injectors?

/ MF 165 knocking #16  
G,Day DaButcher .
The injector setting is 175 Atmospheres ,that is if you are replacing the nozzles .
the test /setting pressure on a new injector is 185 Atmospheres.
May I suggest that unless you have a calibrated injector test rig good, If you dont have I would suggest taking the injectors to a Diesel fuel service shop.
Ooroo.
Hutch.

/ MF 165 knocking
Thanks Hutch!

I will swap the injectors around first to see if that may be the issue. If they need rebuilt there is a great old German guy that is not to for away who does outstanding rebuilds on injectors and pumps.

/ MF 165 knocking
I did swap the injectors tonight, knock did not move.

/ MF 165 knocking
   / MF 165 knocking
teardown in progress
PA010087.jpg

PA010084.jpg

jackpot
PA010093.jpg

PA010092.jpg