MF 165 Steering problem? Loader Question?

/ MF 165 Steering problem? Loader Question? #1  

AgTeacher

Tractor
MF 165
I just purchase a MF 165 multi-power, 1964 model. It has power steering. It turns good to the right, but has no power when you turn to the left. Does it just need adjusting, if so, where? or does the pump up front need to be rebuilt. This is the first of many questions I have about my new tractor. It also has a MF 235 Loader on it, maybe from the 1970's, the loader will lift and work, but when you let off the hydraulic lever the loader will drop 3 to 4 inches, will rebuilding the cylinders correct this? Thanks in advance.

/ MF 165 Steering problem? Loader Question? #2  
I just purchase a MF 165 multi-power, 1964 model. It has power steering. It turns good to the right, but has no power when you turn to the left. Does it just need adjusting, if so, where? or does the pump up front need to be rebuilt. This is the first of many questions I have about my new tractor. It also has a MF 235 Loader on it, maybe from the 1970's, the loader will lift and work, but when you let off the hydraulic lever the loader will drop 3 to 4 inches, will rebuilding the cylinders correct this? Thanks in advance.

A nickels worth of free advice on the steering.....get a service manual. (along with owners manual and parts manual) They'll walk you through the adjustments. (And that's what you have, a mis-adjusted steering control) There's a small turnbuckle looking deal and a tapered pin that you'll find near the top of the steering assembly behind the grill. Those will be the areas needing adjustment. That tapered pin CAN NOT be screwed in tight. It must have some clearance where it seats. Then adjusting the turnbuckle will equallize steering in both directions. It's rather complicated to explain, and pictures are worth more'n a thousand words in this case. The manuals will have illustrations that are most helpful.

Sounds like the spool valve may possibly be you culprit. It COULD be the cylinders, but I'd tend to favor issues with the valve.