MF 1754 Potential Purchase

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #11  
The 4wd was difficult to disengage, sometimes I would have to use the FEL to pick up the front tires to get it out of 4wd. But that's getting better with more use, mostly the issue is I have pretty much zero flat, level, ground. Thus the front end is continually in a bind. But the more I use it the less of an issue it is.

Instead of lifting the front wheels, have you tried reversing direction for a short distance ? I found backing up only a foot or so took the pressure off and let it easily slip back into 2 wheel drive.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #12  
Instead of lifting the front wheels, have you tried reversing direction for a short distance ? I found backing up only a foot or so took the pressure off and let it easily slip back into 2 wheel drive.

Yes exactly... Every 4x4 tractor I've had, sometimes you need to tap it forward or reverse to engage/disengage the front axle.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #13  

Yes exactly... Every 4x4 tractor I've had, sometimes you need to tap it forward or reverse to engage/disengage the front axle.

Yes I have, it didn't work due to not having level ground to take the load off of the front axle. Thus reducing the load with the FEL. However, the more I use (engage/disengage) the the 4wd the will it it to come out, even on hills and slants. I haven't used the FEL to disengage the 4wd in a while. Just part of the brake in.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #14  
Figured I would give an update. My dealer called last week I think it was, they and Massey finally confirmed the vent in the fill cap on the front axle is fine. It's functioning properly like others they have seen do this, the relation between them is the type of land the tractors are operated on. Specifically very hilly or mountainous land. The fix is to lower the oil level until a level is reached that doesn't spill through the cap. Only to a point though, their is safe minimum level not to go past.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #15  
Figured I would give an update. My dealer called last week I think it was, they and Massey finally confirmed the vent in the fill cap on the front axle is fine. It's functioning properly like others they have seen do this, the relation between them is the type of land the tractors are operated on. Specifically very hilly or mountainous land. The fix is to lower the oil level until a level is reached that doesn't spill through the cap. Only to a point though, their is safe minimum level not to go past.

Or just leave the level alone and it will bleed itself to it's own happy level over time.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #16  
Or just leave the level alone and it will bleed itself to it's own happy level over time.
That's exactly what I told them and am doing.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #17  
No one has a 1754? Does anyone have a 1700 series cab tractor? Any known problems with Tier IV? Any issues or problems with 1700 series?

I have a 1736 Power Shuttle Cab
New in October of this year.

I prefer the gears to hydrostatic. Personal choice.
No Tier IV issues yet. Only 40hrs so far.
Tractor is heavy and puts traction to the ground.
If you believe the manual, I shouldn't notice it in action during regen.

A couple of design/operational observations.

SMV bracket is in a STUPID location if you plan on looking out the rear window to monitor your implements during operation. I have my sign removed and in the cab until I need to use it. But that is inconvenient.
Other brands seem to have it mounted higher out of sight lines.

Steering wheel is annoying. I put a spinner on the wheel and discovered that while driving straight, it was in a different location. Realizing that the logo was now upside down in the wheel centre. Dealer mechanic says that is normal. I say it is bad design. (The steering is pump driven and not a steering shaft)
Eventually it works its way back to to the "proper" original starting point.

The loader will not move and rotate the bucket at the same time. It's one or the other.

Cab is very quiet, comfortable seat and great visibility.

Tilt steering is only one position which puts it rather close to you.
Exterior lights are weak if you are used to LED.

PTO engage from the exterior rear fender is convenient if you use a chipper or splitter.

You cannot unlock the doors from the inside. You can open them but not unlock.

I find the hydraulics strong and fast on the loader at low RPM and and very fast at full throttle.

Quick attach on the loader is great.
I added third function. Handy

Two rear remotes. Expensive to add the second one. Only one is standard equipment.

Not much storage inside the cab. The ledges over the fenders have a cup holder on the right. Nothing but a slope on the left.
All that being said, it's a tractor and today we seem to expect a lot. I have a '64 MF35. This new rig is like winning the lottery when it comes to features and amenities.
This is all nit-picking. Overall I thoroughly enjoy the machine.
I hope that helps your question. Sorry to have a long post.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #18  
The most prominent one was the crazy sensitive seat sensor. They made an adjustment to the sensor (this fixed it for me) and installed a delay timer (it gives me 4 or so seconds before it cuts the engine). Problem solved. The vent on the fill cap on the front axle is leaking. They will replace it the next time the they send a tech out. The 4wd was difficult to disengage, sometimes I would have to use the FEL to pick up the front tires to get it out of 4wd. But that's getting better with more use, mostly the issue is I have pretty much zero flat, level, ground. Thus the front end is continually in a bind. But the more I use it the less of an issue it is.

I have the same concerns.
Loader works well for helping disengaging the front axle.
I will look into the seat switch resolution that you got.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #19  
That's a good list of nits, Supertaster. It covers just about everything that I have noticed. A few highlights to reiterate. The SMV sign annoys me, too, and I only mount it when I drive on the road, which is very infrequently. I wouldn't do it at all if I had a bridge over my creek that could handle 7500 lbs. I have ideas of fabricating something on one of the outside light brackets to hold it.

Regarding operating FEL lift and curl at the same time, my machine can do it, but I have to stupid finesse it to happen. The upshot of which is I don't bother most of the time. My working theory is that the cylinders are so hungry for fluid, that any one will take it all unless the valve is ever so carefully regulated. I presume that's why they're so fast. At high engine speed, they're borderline too fast for me.

The first time regen happened to me, the only indication I had that it was ongoing was the yellow light. It has been a complete non-event.

I am completely satisfied with my tractor and would not hesitate to replace it with a duplicate if I had to. YMMV.

/ MF 1754 Potential Purchase #20  
That's a good list of nits, Supertaster. It covers just about everything that I have noticed. A few highlights to reiterate. The SMV sign annoys me, too, and I only mount it when I drive on the road, which is very infrequently. I wouldn't do it at all if I had a bridge over my creek that could handle 7500 lbs. I have ideas of fabricating something on one of the outside light brackets to hold it.

Regarding operating FEL lift and curl at the same time, my machine can do it, but I have to stupid finesse it to happen. The upshot of which is I don't bother most of the time. My working theory is that the cylinders are so hungry for fluid, that any one will take it all unless the valve is ever so carefully regulated. I presume that's why they're so fast. At high engine speed, they're borderline too fast for me.

The first time regen happened to me, the only indication I had that it was ongoing was the yellow light. It has been a complete non-event.

I am completely satisfied with my tractor and would not hesitate to replace it with a duplicate if I had to. YMMV.

I will be hauling some stuff tomorrow (firewood).
I will mess with the loader bucket a bit to see if I can
Find the balance of control.
And yes, I really like mine and don't regret a thing right now. If it has
Durability I will be very pleased.