MF 205 Industrial Proofreader

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #1  

jfharper

So my tractor doesn't have this, and I was thinking, after I overhall the engine, I'd like to somehow keep track of the hours for maintance purposes. So I began looking for the thing that goes in the center of my instrument panel, the large hole, where I I just have a metal cap now. I found a pic of a guy's 205ish tractor and it looks like a tach with an odometer thing...I'm guessing the odometer is an hour meter, and discovered they call this gauge a proofreader...no idea why.

Anywho, after doing some more reading, I discovered there will need to be some sort of cable that goes from the proofreader to somewhere else (of course)...someones thread said something like the alternator or something with gears, but I couldn't figure that out...besides, I think my 205 still has the generator on it.

So does anyone know about these old proofreaders, how the cable works? Also, I can find a proofreader for a 202, 204 industrial, but will this fit my 205 industrial? I know my service manual gives data on 203, 205 industrials. Are there such a difference between 202,204 industrials and 203,250 industrials?

Thanks for any guidance. :confused2:

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #2  
Would not a electrical HR meter be easier to install ?

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader
Didn't know...are they way cheaper and what just run a switch or something?

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #4  
yep.. electrical clock.. wire to ignition switch.. lets you do hours... like 12$

though you certaintly could get a proofmeter if you wanted it.

soundguy

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #5  
25 bucks @ surpluscenter

Don't have to mount it in dash, under the hood would work also.

You could tap into a 'key on' power source to run it.

Thanks.

Just for curiosity sake, how would a proofreader run...off a gear or pulley somewhere?

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #8  
I'm not sure on that model. I've seen them gear driven from a genny, electrical pickup from a special alternator.. gear driven from an oil pump accy shaft..etc. then there are the vibration ones that run off the ful injector lines.. etc. ( and of course the inductive pickup ones for gassers that trigger off a spark plug wire )

soundguy

/ MF 205 Industrial Proofreader #9  
So my tractor doesn't have this, and I was thinking, after I overhall the engine, I'd like to somehow keep track of the hours for maintance purposes. So I began looking for the thing that goes in the center of my instrument panel, the large hole, where I I just have a metal cap now. I found a pic of a guy's 205ish tractor and it looks like a tach with an odometer thing...I'm guessing the odometer is an hour meter, and discovered they call this gauge a proofreader...no idea why.

Anywho, after doing some more reading, I discovered there will need to be some sort of cable that goes from the proofreader to somewhere else (of course)...someones thread said something like the alternator or something with gears, but I couldn't figure that out...besides, I think my 205 still has the generator on it.

So does anyone know about these old proofreaders, how the cable works? Also, I can find a proofreader for a 202, 204 industrial, but will this fit my 205 industrial? I know my service manual gives data on 203, 205 industrials. Are there such a difference between 202,204 industrials and 203,250 industrials?

Thanks for any guidance. :confused2:

When your tractor was new, the generator had a gear reduction on the end plate to drive the cable for the proof reader. If it isn't there now, someone has removed it but you may see a small gear or a shaft sticking out. If you don't see the shaft, someone has replaced the generator. Trac

Thanks, Trac.