MF 231S lazy rear lift

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift #1  

def38

Platinum Member
Tractor
M-F 231S
My 2003 MF231S sat in the garage over winter on the battery charger. Today, I fired it up and began mowing with the still attached flail mower. The mower operates fine as does the tractor but the rear lift arms are very slow to go up when the lift lever is moved. All was well last fall when I put the tractor away. This sounds like either the lift cylinder needs rebuilding or the hydraulic pump is defective. Any thoughts as to how to proceed to determine which has failed?

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift #2  
I have a 2001 231s with close to 700 hours, it had 400 when I bought it. The lift has always seemed slow to me. It's like when you lift the control it takes several seconds for the arms to start to react. The loader is very slow as well. Slow up slow going down. I don't know why.

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift
Addict, sludge was found in my hydraulic sump and the filter was damaged. Cleaned the sump, flushed it, changed the filter and filled with fresh oil. Works like new now.

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift #4  
Addict, sludge was found in my hydraulic sump and the filter was damaged. Cleaned the sump, flushed it, changed the filter and filled with fresh oil. Works like new now.
Thanks. I don't have a book for my tractor. Where is this sump located?

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift
The sump is the transmission, gearcase your sitting over. Your hydraulic/transmission oil (several gallons in our tractors) lubricates the transmission components and provides the hydraulic pressure to lift the 3 point. I recommend you get the shop manual for your machine. And, while I no longer perform major work on any of my machinery, the shop or repair manual helps me diagnose problems. I have an extra 200 series MF shop manual on CD if your interested. Where was your 231S manufactured?

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift #6  
The sump is the transmission, gearcase your sitting over. Your hydraulic/transmission oil (several gallons in our tractors) lubricates the transmission components and provides the hydraulic pressure to lift the 3 point. I recommend you get the shop manual for your machine. And, while I no longer perform major work on any of my machinery, the shop or repair manual helps me diagnose problems. I have an extra 200 series MF shop manual on CD if your interested. Where was your 231S manufactured?
It's a 2001

/ MF 231S lazy rear lift
You and I have the same tractor. The company that built our tractors is no longer in existence...family squabble and stealing the profits...

But, the 200 series are tough machines. The Perkins diesel is an outstanding engine with plenty of parts available. Anybody can work on them. Keep clean oil and filters on the engine, I run Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 and a WIX 51515. Replace air filters when needed, keep the cooling system in good working order and the tractor will outlast you.