MF 243

/ MF 243 #21  
Re: Ouch.....

Big Ern,

I've dealt with Tim Specht over at Bakersville Garage. They're good folks over there, also. I guess we're fortunate to have a number of good dealerships in the area.

Jeff

/ MF 243

Jeff,

Tim was real nice to work with. He came up with a lot better price than I had the on the first pass with the TC45. Beat the other guy by $2100. But I'm going with the MF 243. The turning point was the little exercise of pushing on the elevated mower deck (on the TC45) and the front end started to bounce. This came about when I asked about the balance weights. Granted, the loader may add the weight but that stuck in my mid when I went to Bluck's to see the Massey. We did the drive around the fields with the mower which was just fine. Then I pointed to the "hiil" and said let's go up. We raised the mower and started up. There was no loader on it for weight. We're talking a real hill here, and that front end never gave any indication of wanting to raise up. Did the high low range, 4WD up and down and even a liitle sideways. This just felt safer to me and that's a big deal for everybody. Took my wife out on the follwing Saturday and she drove it. I may be doing the fine tuning with the DR Field mower. She took to it a liitle too quickly for me. Bluck's knew I was bringing her over so Richard cleaned it up. I swear he "Armor Alled" tires. Anyway we told him to order the loader and Woods mower for it. I figure it will be ready in another week or so which is good timing at the house. We'll have the garage door on by then and the new toys will have a nice place to stay in the garage. Stand by for user stories. They may be slow until we get through hunting.

BigErn

/ MF 243 #23  

BigErn,

That's good to hear. Sounds like you made the right choice for your needs (especially if you can get the wife to do the mowing). I really like Richard and would like to purchase a MF 1235 from him. However, he's about $2500 higher than what I can purchase an Agco ST30 (exact same tractor as the MF 1235) from Long's in Carrolton. That's both units priced out with FEL and MMM. I guess I need to go back out to Bluck's and see what they can do. However, I kind of got sidetracked with a Kubota B2910 (Lashley's in Quaker City) - I like it real well. I still need to sell two more restored AC's and I'll be ready to make a new purchase.

Jeff

/ MF 243 #24  

BigErn,
Congrats on the new machine...

That is such a sweet engine in that girl, you're gonna love it!

Did you get the 12/12 synchro shuttle trans, auxiliary hydraulic pump and independent pto as well...? Ya gotta have those!

Good luck...

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

"You are what you eat, drink, think, say and do..."

/ MF 243

John,

Thanks. We kept it a little simpler since we will not be in the biggest rush to get things done. Plus trying to count to 12 is harder than 8...just kidding. We got the 8x2 synchrinized but not shuttle. I figure the loading work will be fairly simple, and having high and low range seems fine. It already did have an extra auxiliary hydraulic pump on the tractor separate from the loader hydraulics. This should be good if we get a chipper or something that needs the pump. Went with the live PTO on the clutch. Seemed easier for us to know that we can pretty much keep control with the foot pedal and not get the hands involved with levers if something serious occurred and we needed to keep both hands on the wheel. Anyway we are looking it as our big toy which we will enjoy for a long time. The goal is to retire to the "farm" sometime in the next 5 to 7 years. Then time will really be relative. Since we both get a lot of pressure at work, our attitude here is if it doesn't get done today we'll get it tomorrow. We only have to answer to ourselves at the farm. We'll keep you guys advised of our adventures.

Thanks
BigErn

/ MF 243 #26  

<font color=blue>...our attitude here is if it doesn't get done today we'll get it tomorrow....</font color=blue>

My sentiments, exactly. Enjoyment doesn't rush!

JimI

/ MF 243 #27  
Did you ever get the Massey??

Hey Big Ern,

How's it going?

Did you ever get the M/F yet? If not there's a 4225 mfd with loader with 91 hrs up here for $39,500 CDN.

/ MF 243
Re: Did you ever get the Massey??

Woodbeef,

Yeah we finally got it delivered on December 20th - Merry Christmas to us. Here's the info I had been posting on the "Buying New Holland TC45" discussion, when we were still thinking the Boomer. Bigger is definitely better.

"Got the 8x2 synchronized transmisson with 4WD. Live PTO with the dual clutch. We both felt better with that set up. Folding ROPS and side exhaust let's us get it into the garage. The loader is the 6 foot MF1050 and the mower is the Woods BB 72. Did not think we needed to go for the shuttle on the transmission even with the loader. Total price for every thing was $25,000 including tax and that also includes tires loaded with the Calcium Chloride mix and a tank of fuel. I think we did okay. I was able to calculate the gross price based on information I picked up at the OSU Science Review from the product reps and also piecing it together from the info I could find on the State of Minnesota website, which several of the members referred to in the forums. Anyway I got more HP, more lifting capacity as well as the mower I really wanted.

If I added the price of a Bushhog mower in with the last price of the NH package I posted it came up to $23120 including tax. So for $1880 more the wife and I are happy and feel safer with our new toy. We'll post our exploits on the Massey Ferguson forum as we they develop."

Also right before I had it delivered I had the dealer throw in a 6 foot scraper blade for grading the gravel driveway and plowing the snow. We have a 1500 foot driveway at the farm. When the dealer drove up with the whole set up, he said he looked at the blade and tire width and said we should have a 7 foot blade instead. Didn't jump the price. Said to go ahead and enjoy it on him. Nice dealing with the local folks.

Anyway I've had a chance to use it to grade the crown down on the driveway and even plow some snow last week. I think I'm doing okay for a rookie. Took it up through the fields in the snow to get a feel. Took it nice and easy and was able to do really well in 4WD and Lo Range. Just have to watch the sideways even on a gentle slope. But so far we're having a good time with it. Have put about 4 hours on it so far. More fun lies ahead. Stand by for further exploits. Thanks to all you guys for helping with the decision process.

Big Ern

/ MF 243 #29  
Good to hear it......

Hey Big ern,

Glad to hear you have your Massey at home,and are enjoying it. Now the fun really begins!!

I think for your uses you went the right way with an ag-tractor vs a compact.

keep us posted!!