MF 243

/ MF 243
Young Feller,

While you guys determine who the corporate executive is I have another question to pose to the group. Now that I am adjusting to sticker shock I also realize there could be opportunity for a machine that is "previously owned." I see a lot of ads for several brands. My question is in general how many hours are considered too many on these diesels? I have friend who bought a Yanmar with 1100 hours and he said that it is just getting broken in. I see ads for machines with 100 , 500, 2000 and up to 5000 and 6000 hours. What's a good rule of thumb? - kind of like a car at 100,000 miles may need some extra attention. Thanks

/ MF 243 #12  
And like cars, much depends on who owned it, how it was used, and especially how it was maintained. The hour meter on the tractor, or odometer on a car, is just a starting point when you're considering buying a used one.

Bird

/ MF 243 #13  
Valtra

First off: No, I have no vested intrest in Valtra. I do not work for them. I'm only trying to let you guys know that there are other tractors out there than the Majors( it helps if you open your eyes and look around some)!! Yes,they may not have a dealer on every corner across the country,but when you buy a well made tractor and take care of it,you'll find that you do not need that dealer security blanket next door.

Big Ern:

The guy on the contact page is the head honcho for the States. Send him an e-mail for the update on dealer locations. After a quick check I found these dealers in Ohio (there are probably more by now). Where in Ohio are you? There might be one in a bordering state close to you also.

Rhoades Ag&Trailer Center Glenford Ph#740-659-2376

Sutter Brothers Coldwater Ph# 419-942-1783

Reberland Equipment Apple Creek Ph# 330-698-5883

Amerocan Equipment Willmington Ph# 937-486-3101

Fecon Inc Cincinnatti Ph# 513-956-5700

As for the number of hours on a tractor,hhmmm..... that's a tough one with so many variables!! A tractor could get irreversable damge quickly (probably within a few hundred hours)that might not show for years,or could show sooner.The best thing I can say is look deeper than a shinny paint job!! Go with your gut feelings about the machine. Does something look out of place,weird,not sound right,does 2+2 keep adding up to 3? Age and codition must go hand in hand!!

I farm full time,so all I can afford are used tractors.
I bought a 1980 Steyr 8080a in 96 as my main tractor at that time. It had 2200 hrs with mfd and a loader. It has given me great service,and this with no Steyr dealers in N.A. since the mid 80s. Then on the other hand I have a CIH 1494 that has just over 4600 hrs now. It has needed in the last 600 hrs turbo,clutch,hydraulic pump drive. The Steyr could probably go another 5000 hrs or more without anything major,the CIH is wearing out in places. I know of Valmets with over 15000 hrs and nothing major,Fendts the same.But then again I know of other brands with 3000hrs or less needing engines,trans,rear ends etc....So I guess as with all things used it's a crap shoot!! Sometimes you win Sometimes you Loose!! If it was me I look for tractors in the 1500-3000 hr range.These are usually one owner machines that are being replaced for bigger or newer models. Remember age and condition must go hand in hand. I only use tractors of under 100 pto hp myself.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Woodbeef on 08/22/01 08:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ MF 243
Re: Valtra

Woodbeef,

This info on the dealers helps a lot. We live in Columbus and the property is about 70 miles east near Coshocton. The Apple Valley dealer would be reasonable from both locations.

Thanks

/ MF 243 #15  

Big Ern,

My info says that dealer is at 5963 Fountain Nook Dr.

Be sure and give them a good looking over!!

If you do get a new one,be sure and get a copy of the options brochure and go through it before you order one. Myself I'm partial to the metallic green color!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Woodbeef on 08/23/01 06:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ MF 243 #16  

Big Ern,

Been awhile since we heard from you. How's the tractor search going? Any interesting things to share with us?

/ MF 243

Woodbeef,

Got distracted for a while with the new house. Then I had to go Turkey hunting. The Thanskgiving bird is in the freezer. On the tractor front I went to the Farm Science Review put on by Ohio State. Felt like I was at a car show, but it was the perfect place to see them all. Even saw the Valtra. Seem a little tight around the cockpit area for my 6'6" frame. Plus I finally heard from the national rep and there are now only 3 dealers in Ohio instead of the 5 we had thought. That raises concern. Anyway I am now focusing in on the MF 243 and the NH TC45 Boomer. Drove the TC45 today both with and without a FEL. Felt pretty good. Definitiely would go with the synchroshuttle tansmission since the foot shifting on the Hydrostatic with my long legs is a bit annoying as well as having more of a hump on the floor board in the center. Anyway I'm going to re-drive the MF 243 this week, and then go to another NH dealer right after that to get a good feel for comparison back to back. I figure it will also give me another NH dealer to compare prices.

Now for all the price savy sensitive folks out there I have a NH pricing question for you. I have seen you guys in action in some of the other discussion lines so I know I can count on interesting and honest feedback. I have a quote from the a NH dealer for a TC45 Boomer. Let me know if this looks like it is in the ballpark or are we way off base. I have it equipped as follows:
TC 45 Synchroshuttle, 4WD, Folding ROPS, Grill Guard, 16LA HD Loader (72" bucket). Ag Tires front and rear. The price I was quoted is $22,605.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
BigErn

/ MF 243 #18  
Ouch.....

Hey Ern,

I know where you're coming from on the room issue. I thought the same with the previous ones(65 series). It's really ashame that the Valtra does not feel comfortable to operate for you,because you'll find no better tractor for dependability!! As for the loss of dealers,are they still in business but selling other lines? Valtra is setting up a new head office in Chicago shortly.

Did you check out the NH TN series? It would be a more substantial choice over the boomer. With the amount of acreage that you have and the terrain of it,I'd say go with a real tractor,not a compact!! Remember it's always better to have more power and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Did you ever look into the Massey 4200 series? They are alot more advanced then the 200 series.

Enjoy the bird!!! There's no better eatin then one of them wild ones!!!

/ MF 243 #19  
Re: Ouch.....

Big Ern,

Did you check with Bluck's out in Plainfield, OH - just SE of Coshocton? Rich is a pretty good guy and will treat you right. I know he's got a couple new 1240's and 1250's for a reasonable price.

Jeff

/ MF 243
Re: Ouch.....

Jeff,

Yep, That's where I did my first test drive on the MF 243. I had talked with Richard and actually drove it out at his farm. I'm going to Bakersvile tomorrow to check out the TC45 one more time and see if they have any TN's. I was already plannng on making another run over to Bluck's. This is harder than buying a car since I figure I only get one chance. Since duck hunting was a bust today and the weather is supposed to be clear again tomorrow I'll go chase tractors instead of ducks. I actually stopped and looked at an AGCO 5650 today up in Danville. Looks huge compared to the TC45.
Thanks for the heads up on Bluck's.

Big Ern