MF 245 overheating

/ MF 245 overheating #1  

Jim L

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford model 660, 4610 SU
Hello, I'm working on a 1979 MF 245 with an AD3-152 Perkins diesel for a neighbor that over heated and blew the head gasket. Pulled the head, had it surfaced, installed it with a new gasket. Got it started and it still wants to heat. I noticed the top hose didn't get hot so I figured the thermostat was to blame. I put a 180 degree in and same problem. Then I pulled the waterpump and don't see any problem with that. Took a water hose,shot water into the hose on the side of the engine block and water came out another hose so I can't figure it out. At first I thought it might be air in the system,but it never would straighten out. Any ideas would really help. Thanks in advance. jim

/ MF 245 overheating #2  
Radiator? perhaps try a back flush.

/ MF 245 overheating #3  
As stan33 says flush radiator internally AND clean the fins as well. It is amazing how much dirt can hide in the fins.
Also was the fanbelt tight? A slipping fanbelt can significantly reduce cooling ability.

/ MF 245 overheating #4  
Are you sure you put the head gasket on correctly? it should have "top front" on the head gasket.

/ MF 245 overheating
Thanks guys, I back flushed it and finally got water to circulate through the upper hose . It took 30 min to get all the air out, but it still shows in the upper part of the gauge. I think it might need a new sender

/ MF 245 overheating #6  
If you have one of those indeterminate gauges without numbers, they are a bit of a guess as to the actual temp plus they were never high quality from new and rarely still good when that age. I would try and find another way to measure the actual temp during a good run, not just idling. Maybe fit a new gauge with numbers so the owner can always be sure of what is going on in case it happens again.

/ MF 245 overheating #7  
A new gauge with the numbers is the way to go.

/ MF 245 overheating #8  
If you have or can lay your hands on an infrared thermometer, get a shot at the temperature right beside the temperature sending unit. That should tell you whether the sending unit or the gauge is faulty.

/ MF 245 overheating #9  
Hello, I'm working on a 1979 MF 245 with an AD3-152 Perkins diesel for a neighbor that over heated and blew the head gasket. Pulled the head, had it surfaced, installed it with a new gasket. Got it started and it still wants to heat. I noticed the top hose didn't get hot so I figured the thermostat was to blame. I put a 180 degree in and same problem. Then I pulled the waterpump and don't see any problem with that. Took a water hose,shot water into the hose on the side of the engine block and water came out another hose so I can't figure it out. At first I thought it might be air in the system,but it never would straighten out. Any ideas would really help. Thanks in advance. jim

Have you checked the air side of the radiator? they can block with chaff and dirt and restrict the airflow that cools the coolant. the rad core can be clogged, the drive belt slipping, the pressure cap not holding pressure on the coolant, lower hose collapsing at higher rpm, etc I know you said you replaced the thermostat. Is it opening and letting coolant through?