MF 271

/ MF 271 #1  

MK111

Tractor
MF 271
HI- I bought a really nice MF 271 tractor made in 2000. It ran great at purchase and doing light work around the buildings. Hooked up the bush hog and went down my steep hill out back and have to go up a steep hill to get to the field. Bush hog about 600 ft and the engine shuts off. Hard starting but keeps shutting off after about 500 ft of heavy load.
Changed the fuel filter and that didn't help. The fuel tank was fuel of AG diesel when I got it.
Could the steep hill loosen dirt? I purchased a on-line repair manual and I'll darn if the fuel section was missing.
What do I do to getting it running. Thanks for the help.

I bought the MF 271 to upgrade to a front end loader. Never had a problem for 13 yrs with my Ford 420 diesel Industrial tractor.
Frank

Last edited:
   / MF 271 #2  
Replace fuelfilter and check flow thru fueltanktap......then open fuelliftpump and check strainer in liftpump

/ MF 271
Replace fuelfilter and check flow thru fueltanktap......then open fuelliftpump and check strainer in liftpump

Replaced fuel filter. Fuel pump pumped fuel several inches when filter was off when tractor turned over. Have a picture of this lift pump strainer area? The darn fuel section was missing in the on-line service manual I got. New to me.
Thanks for the help.

/ MF 271 #4  
If there is a screw in the middle of the liftpump......then remove the cover and clean the strainer

/ MF 271 #5  
If there is a screw in the middle of the liftpump......then remove the cover and clean the strainer

/ MF 271

I did that and no help. I have a new fuel tank tap valve in the mail now. After the tank tap is replaced we'll start a complete testing of the fuel system.

/ MF 271 #8  
That should have the same pump as a 471. If it does then check your fuel shutoff solenoid. As it may not be holding the magnet. Also dad's dealer told him to never use starting fluid as it would mess up the engine. It has a heater built into in by just letting it crank. May have to crank for 15-20 seconds when it's below zero. That's what he was told when he bought his 471 new.

/ MF 271 #9  
If its the elect shut-off solinoid ....remove and take with as per sample ......many diesel trucks use similer ones ! Stay on 12 v !

/ MF 271
That should have the same pump as a 471. If it does then check your fuel shutoff solenoid. As it may not be holding the magnet. Also dad's dealer told him to never use starting fluid as it would mess up the engine. It has a heater built into in by just letting it crank. May have to crank for 15-20 seconds when it's below zero. That's what he was told when he bought his 471 new.

Where is the fuel shutoff valve? On the injector pump as there is nothing on the fuel lift pump? The fuel tap plastic rod broke from age so a new one was ordered and be here mid week. The on-line manual I bought was missing the fuel chapter.