MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help!

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #1  

lacamo

Bronze Member
MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won\'t start. Help!

I was just finishing up splitting wood when I noticed the rpms on the tractor engine fluctuate as if it was running out of fuel. It would run faster, then slower, then faster; finally it died and I was unable to start it. The fuel gauge read 1/2 full and I peeked into the tank and verified it wasn't empty. Also checked the fuel filter - the reservoir was full & there was no crud. I've been running her on heating oil as per recommendation of the dealer. Does this sound like a dead fuel injection pump?

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #2  
Re: MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won\'t start. Help!

Must be pretty darn cold already if you are running straight heating oil instead of diesel.

What was the air temperature when this happened? Wax crystals from the fuel could block the fuel lines. Could be frozen water in the tank too. But that would happen only in below zero temps (wax) and below freezing (water).

If it was that cold, try dragging the tractor into heated storage and see if it will start after it warms up.

Water in the fuel can be dispersed by a fuel additive (in the tractor tank). Don't add water additive to bulk storage as it doesn't remove water--just disperses it. Use a Mr Funnel to remove water from bulk store fuel as you pour it into the tractor.

If your dealer is warrantying his advice then ok with using heating oil. Heating oil does not have the same lubricating properties as diesel. I'd only use heating oil to dilute diesel, not 100%. Unless you are running in protracted substantially below zero weather--like 20, 30 below or lower for several days. If you are experiencing this kind of cold you ought to think of switching the engine oil to synthetic, if you haven't already.

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #3  

<font color="blue"> Must be pretty darn cold already if you are running straight heating oil instead of diesel. </font>

I have read so many posts here at TBN stating that home heating oil is the same thing as off-road diesel...that I have come to believe it is so...

As compared to kerosene which they cut diesel with in this area during winter time.

V8Dave, perhaps you were thinking kerosene when you said the above? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #4  

A few years back I was mowing with my 25 HP tractor and I had a slow loss of power. I shut the tractor down checked under the hood, couldn't see any reason for the power loss, so I fired it back up and went on mowing. Less than a half hour later the tractor lost all power and quit in its tracks. I bought this particular tractor new, always transported diesel in plastic jugs and kept it clean, changed the fuel filter as the operators manual suggested so I figured I must have lost an injector pump. When I took the bowl off the fuel filter I had diesel coming from the tank but it was just a drip. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I pumped the remaining fuel out of my tank and unscrewed the fuel bowl from the bottom of the tank to find that there was a screen inside the tank on the top of the bowl assembly that was almost entirely plugged preventing diesel from even getting to the fuel filter. I used a bit of paint thinner and cleaned it up and I used a piece of 1X1 with a rag on the end to swab the gunk out of the bottom of the fuel tank. I was amazed at just how much crud had accumulated from the clean diesel that I was putting in it. After putting it all back together and purging the lines it started and ran like a top.

I don't think there is such a thing as clean diesel. Check your fuel flow for restrictions.

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help!

I called a local mechanic who came today to bleed the air from the lines and come up with a diagnosis. By the time I got back, he was gone. Sounds like your idea is very likely; I hope so, cause replacing the fuel injection pump is mucho more expensive than cleaning a screen or a clogged line. Regarding the fuel, it can get to 20-30 below and the recommendation was to cut the heating oil with kerosene.
I'll post the "good" news tomorrow.

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Must be pretty darn cold already if you are running straight heating oil instead of diesel. </font>

I have read so many posts here at TBN stating that home heating oil is the same thing as off-road diesel...that I have come to believe it is so...

As compared to kerosene which they cut diesel with in this area during winter time.

V8Dave, perhaps you were thinking kerosene when you said the above? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

You are right, Henro! My mistake /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and thanks for the correction.

We use so little heating oil out here, that the local distributor answered my questions about #2 heating oil, by saying "you mean Diesel?" And he used kerosene and heating oil interchangeably. And, I forgot that when I replied to the message. Of course, compounding the bad information with making the cold interpretation.

lacmo, it looks like PineRidge has you on the right track. Please excuse the off base advice. At least it was so far off base, you didn't act on it.

/ MF 275 Diesel - Stalled and won't start. Help! #7  

Well, after my first post how about some useable information?

If your problem is similar to pineridge's, you may need a fungicide in your fuel storage containers. There is stuff that can grow in diesel/fuel oils with a little water from condensation and it can matt up like alge does in water. My small experience with marine diesel engines and storage has shown it can be a problem.

In addition to the fungicide, try to keep the tractor tank as full as practical when it is not being used. This to keep the inside of the tanks from sweating. Spring and Autumn are the worst times for water condensation in fuel tanks here in California, as we get the greater day/night temperature swings which pump the moist air into the tanks.