MF 35 overhall

/ MF 35 overhall #1  

Angela

Dose anyone have a MF 35 which has been completely overhalled?, If so could you please give details, who does this, rough cost etc... pref in the Lancashire (England!) area.
Thanks in advance.

/ MF 35 overhall #2  
I did a MF135 last summer with a Perkins 152, but only the bottom end, not the whole unit. The advantage of this engine is plentiful of parts and prices are very cheap for those parts, unlike the newer units.

New {not reground} crankshaft $300.
Rod & mains & thrusts ~ $45.
Rear seal $3.
Front timing cover seal $14.
Bottom end gasket set ~ $25.
Rear main end cap {used} ~$30. {almost impossible to find}{They only come with a full short block}

While the engine was apart and the tractor was split, decided to do both the drive and pto clutches, throwout brg., ~$110. total

The parts as you can see were dirt cheap, but those multiple Lobster dinners for my help were the expensive things... Well worth it though! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ MF 35 overhall
Thanks for your info, John.
Lobster dinners - sounds like a great idea!

Anglea.

/ MF 35 overhall
Thanks for the www.fofh.. etc, I've had a good look round & its been really helpful.

The reason for my enquiry re; overhalls was that I bought a MF35 two years ago, after it was supposedly restored by a MF agency, and have had nothing but trouble with it since.

The tractor goes for so long then stops and is extremely difficult to get going again. (I have towed it back to the garage on a number of occasions from the middle of a field!). It appears that the fuel is not getting through. I've changed the filter in the tank on several occasions, removed and cleaned the fuel pipe and cleaned the filter on the pumps, all to no avail.

There does seem to be a lot of black sediment in the tank. I wondered if it was worth having it cleaned.

The MF people seem to think its a problem with the filter and can't offer any other help or explanation, except to provide new filters.

I am only a novice and like to tamper. I have just restored a TED20 (which proves more reliable for hay making at the moment!)

Angela (& George, the novice !!!)

/ MF 35 overhall #6  
I had a MF135 straight axle diesal burnt to a crisp in a fire 4 years ago. Purchased a replacement bent axle MF135 diesal.
Its tank was very rusty as the tractor had been left to the weather. Cleaned the burnt tank with kero and replaced the melted tap and swapped it for the other tank. Not a very hard job. Fuel lines were leaking and I had to replace one pipe. I would assume the MF35 would be the same. I replaced the 2 CAV fuel filters and had to clean the fuel bowl several times to get rid of the burnt carbon from the tank. This sounds like a similar problem to what you have.

/ MF 35 overhall #7  
Forgot to mention - there is a mesh filter above the small filter bowl on the right hand side of my tractor - may or may not be the same on yours - I have had to clean this several times - I bet this is your problem!!!!

/ MF 35 overhall #8  
i do not know if your tractor is like my TO-20, but you have to open the fuel valve
all the way open if you want to draw off of the whole tank. the tank is made with two
sections, and if you only open the valve part way, it will run the first section dry,
then you have to open the fuel valve all the way open, and it draws off the reserve.
does this sound crazy, i hope this is clear. if it is not getting fuel, i would also check
some other things, as was suggested in the other post.
william

/ MF 35 overhall
Thanks Smokey & William, for your help, things don't seem quite so bad, knowing I'm not the only one to have encountered this type of problem. It's been driving me mad! Had the tank steam cleaned this week & replaced the fuel lines & filters etc. See how we get on now.

Thanks to everyone who offered me help & advice.

Angela

/ MF 35 overhall #10  
Does the tractor stall suddenly or does it slowly choke itself until it stalls?

Without knowing the answer to the above question, I can only offer this advice: Clean the carbeurator and put a NEW fuel line from the gas tank to the Carb.