MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit.

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #11  
A good mechanic should get you back in business.

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit.
A good mechanic should get you back in business.

Yes and I am lucky I have an equipment dealer I trust not too far away, not a Massey Ferguson dealer though, will bring the tractor to him this Monday. But that is not the point, I bought this tractor new in 1995 I think, a real investment for us. Today a tractor in this class goes easy over $50.000, it only has 3000 hours on it. The only thing I am asking for, is support from Massey Ferguson or AGCO, they telling me if this brake-down is an issue with these tractors or not. In AGCO's mission statement it says:

AGCO is committed to creating the best customer experience in the industry. AGCO invests heavily in training service and support personnel, updating processes and systems – particularly with AGCO’s Parts Distribution Centers and Customer Service Centers – while actively seeking input from dealers and customers for continuous improvement.

Not my experience is it, a thing like this can ruin a farmer.

Last edited:
   / MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #13  
Why do you expect them to help you on something that old ? The 300 series are some of their best tractors . Generally that transmission is very good we have had 390's and 399's with over 10'000 hours with no trouble even on loader tractors.

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #14  
It looks like the Massey 390Ts were last made in 1997. At this point your options would be a mechanic or a lot of google searches. I understand the 390T to be a quality tractor so you should be back in business shortly.

While your purchase in 1995 may be recent to you, in the global market that Massey competes, it is a long time ago. Hopefully your mechanic figures out what is wrong quickly and cost effectively.

Why do you expect them to help you on something that old ? The 300 series are some of their best tractors . Generally that transmission is very good we have had 390's and 399's with over 10'000 hours with no trouble even on loader tractors.

Yes what do I expect from Massey Ferguson or AGCO, the name Massey Ferguson by now a name they put on tractors made by other manufacturers.

First about the 300 series Massey Ferguson, I have had 4 and now three, one 383 and two 390T's. Yes they are very good tractors, the problems I have had with them mostly minor. One 383 did not have grease-able steering knuckles (or what you call them). We changed them out a couple years ago, put grease-able in as in the 390T's. The paint job on the hood ****** so they are starting to look a little middle-aged, the paint flaking of, talk about minor. With a loader I feel they flex a little too much. They are good haying tractors. Especially this one we are talking about, 18 speed with an electric button for high and low on the gear shift. Going up hill (lots of hills here) you can slow down and vice verse.

I have to say though, always felt a little moronic shifting to low-medium -high with the gearshift on the 390T's. You push the gearshift to the right and forward and it goes up from low to med. Then you do it again and it goes into high, same the other way. Never been a problem but the design is not confidence building, feels weak. But as I said never been a problem until now. So it felt extra stupid wriggling this gearshift back and forth and nothing happening.

So what does a little farmer expect when he plunks down more than $30.000 of the family fortune in 1995 for a new tractor to last him a live-time. More than a hand-sake, a smile and good-by I guess.

Now more than 15 years later he does not expect AGCO to give him a new tractor or the CO to call to say he he is soooo soooory. If he still lived in Iceland maybe, but he has learned to live with that there are more than 300 million American's and the CO of AGCO probably not married to his cousin. He does not even expect AGCO to help with fixing it (maybe it crossed his mind though).

But what he did expect and still does, that when this problem came up, that Massey Ferguson or AGCO had a service bulletin on this issue at the ready and if this is a problem with these tractors, they would be forthcoming and ready to help him in anyway possible. He would accept that even if they honored at some point participating in this repair up to 4000 hours, that they were not doing it anymore, understandable.

What the farmer does not accept is to end up in Purgatory trying to talk to somebody at AGCO. Next time the farmer (and he does ones in a while) goes out to buy a new machine, it will probably not have a AGCO sticker on it.

How much does it cost a company like AGCO to have a reasonable phone system with people who actually know what they are talking about and can treat a farmer like he is a human being. Not that much I think, not that many combines.

Is it right I have to find out about this problem on a British tractor forum written years ago? Makes me think about a Suburban sitting out back with a ignition key problem, Amercian's dying on the highways while GM kept it secret. Something not right in my mind, or as they are saying in South Korea after this ferry accident, profits above all, nothing else matters.

But then you say, what do you expect from GM on a 1999 Suburban? Nothing I guess but I am a little hurt I was driving my children in a deathtrap and they new it all a long.

Off to the doctor.jpg

Attachments

• Off to the doctor.jpg
    Off to the doctor.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
   / MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #17  
Any word from the mechanic yet? I looked up your 390Ts they are very capable looking tractors.

Any word from the mechanic yet? I looked up your 390Ts they are very capable looking tractors.

I just called the shop, had not worked on it yet. Will keep you informed

/ MF 390T transmission troubles in the range unit. #19  
On the lose bolt problem. Drill a hole though the head of the bolts. Then wire tie them like a flywheel.