MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed.

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed. #1  

docbar85

Tractor
M.F. 231 and 35
Looking at a 451 MF with a loader. How important is the four wheel drive for this application? The dealer tends to lean toward the 4 wheel drive due to the larger front end and extra traction. I will mainly be using the loader for hauling cut up tree, limbs, firewood, misc. Once in a while moving dirt rock etc. This is more tractor than what I need right now but I prferr to have too much, you never know what the future holds. I just don't want to spend the extra on 4 wheel drive and it not be necessary but I also don't want to bend or brake the spindles on a two wheel drive. Any opinions on the shuttle shift? Is it worth it? Right now I have a 231 and don't mind the way the gears shift

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed. #2  
Get the four wheel drive and the shuttle shift. You'll never be sorry. Your question is similar to buying a pickup truck with standard shift transmission... the automatic costs more new but holds up well and brings more money and is easier to move on resale.
The tractor with four wheel drive will sell better if you ever decide to let it go, not to mention how much better it will serve you while you have it. You'll need the traction provided in the front if you have a good load in the bucket!
The shuttle shift is a lifesaver doing loader work.
Also consider adding quick-attach to the loader. Mine is the "pin" type and doesn't require changing the bucket configuration. Works great by pulling two pins to change from bucket to forks.

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed. #3  
Definitely go 4 wheel drive. When you load the bucket up, the rear can get a little light even with ballast on the rear and thus your traction is not as good. I went to go into a pile of topsoil one day and couldn't figure out why the bucket wouldn't go in. I soon realized that I didn't have 4 wheel drive engaged. It makes a world of difference.

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed. #4  
Ditto, on what Glenn said. After you have had a FWD you will never know how you got along without one and you will never have another 2WD. That being said, with what you are doing and for any kind of farm activity. Get the shuttle and the Fwd. Another thing that you should think about before you buy is if you need hydraulic remotes and the type of PTO. The standard 2 stage pto is fine, but the independent pto (IPTO) will not ever wear the clutch out. BTW, there are many tire and wheel options that can be had on that tractor. If you get a set that are wide and low, they will be more user friendly and safer in the woods.

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed.
What is your opinion on a 4 in 1 bucket? Are they durable? Are there any limitations?
Thanks to everyone on their advice, I plan to follow it.

I have a MF 231 97 with about 1250 hrs in good shape. The dealer I have been talking to is allowing me 9k for the 231 on a trade which I think is very good. He assured me he was giving me the best price on the new tractor and I would not get a better price if I bought it without the trade. In other words he is giving me 9k for my tractor which I don't believe I could sell it for. Any opinions on this or should I post it somewhere else.

/ MF 451 Loader, is 4 wheel drive needed. #6  
I have no experience with four-in-one buckets, and it might be something that I really need... but I get by pretty well with a HD bucket/toothbar and a good set of pallet forks so far. My limited imagination has failed to provide me with a scenario where the 4 in 1 would be beneficial around my place. I suggest that you do a search on the "Attachments" forum with "4 in 1 bucket", "four in one bucket", "bucket", etc. and read some of the older posts on the subject. Then if you have questions post them or PM some of the members who posted previously as owners.
Sorry that I can't help with the value of your MF 231 either. I've found that most of the sites that provide a "value" are very inaccurate. You don't have any information in your bio indicating where you are, but in several southern states the ag departments, etc. publish monthly trade papers such as Mississippi Market Bulletin or the Louisiana Market Bulletin . Generally prices for equipment varies by region, so you'll do better if you can find something similar in your region. Good luck with your trade.