MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #1  

ahswain

Tractor
MF GC1705
Hello, All.

My 2013 MF GC1705 will no longer turn off with the ignition key. I replaced the ignition switch but still will not turn off. I visually checked fuses and they all look ok. I swapped the relays around to different plugs and the motor will still not turn off with the ignition switch. The tractor runs fine, I just have to raise the hood and press the rubber boot on the end of the fuel solenoid to turn off the tractor motor when I am done.

I searched the forum to no avail re GC1705. I found one post for another model that does not seem to apply to my GC1705. I am a newbie here and would appreciate your expertise and help. Thanks in advance.

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #2  
Most likely a fuse issue, very common. Corroded connector/spades or blown fuse. It's probably one of the 5amp fuses, not sure which one.

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #3  
It could indeed be any of the above - cheap solutions all. Your fuel solenoid could also have failed and no longer be cutting off the fuel. I believe tractors commonly use a normally open solenoid which allows fuel to flow all the time. They are only energized briefly when you turn off the ignition so they can turn off fuel and kill the engine. If they do not get energized for some reason or if they fail your tractor can still be used, killing the engine is the only problem.

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #4  
It could indeed be any of the above - cheap solutions all. Your fuel solenoid could also have failed and no longer be cutting off the fuel. I believe tractors commonly use a normally open solenoid which allows fuel to flow all the time. They are only energized briefly when you turn off the ignition so they can turn off fuel and kill the engine. If they do not get energized for some reason or if they fail your tractor can still be used, killing the engine is the only problem.

I remember hearing/reading something to that effect..... I would guess a "timer" circuit to control the "engine stop relay" ...
MIght check with meter or test light to see if solenoid get power as key is turned off....

Dale

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #5  
Fuses are the main culprit, and the cheapest to replace. When the ignition is turned off it sends power to a relay for 5-10 seconds that activates the fuel shut off solenoid. If the fuses are all good, pull the ignition switch and take a look at the wiring on the back for broken connections. The internals are not serviceable. Fuses have been most of the problems reported (90%+). A couple have been the ignition switch, haven't heard of the relay or solenoid going bad. The older GC2300s have problems with corrosion on wiring connectors, and fuse block, they were assembled dry in the factory.

Turn the ignition on without starting, then turn ignition off to activate relay.There is an audible click from the relay 5-10 seconds after turning off the ignition. No click, no power going to it (there is only a very, very slim chance the relay is defective).

Parts can get very expensive.

Fuses $10 to replace them all
Ignition switch $96
Relay $121
Solenoid $185

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #6  
Manual show that the #3 fuse (5 amp) powers shut down relay and solenoid... Suggest you test fuse not just do visual on it....

If you are going to replace all fuses, I would use these.....

ATO(R) Smart Glow Fuses

Dale

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #7  
Hi, and welcome to TBN,

Are you saying that the tractor will not even turn off under this condition:

Pull to a stop and set the parking brake, then leave the tractor in gear and raise your hinny off of the tractor seat.

If this works for you, might be easier then getting under the hood.

Good luck, KC

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch
Thanks, All.

Thanks, All. So I checked the fuses with multimeter, not just visually, and all tested fine, plus cleaned/blew out/scraped housing/seats for fuses and lubricated before reinserting fuses. No apparent corrosion or unconnected wires on fuse box. Will check solenoid with multimeter when key turned off. Anything else?

Thanks, DMW. I do not hear any click from the relay after 5 - 10 seconds of turning off the key. What's next please?

Thanks, MF RED in MT. May be on to something. I pulled to stop, set brake, left in gear, raised hinny off seat and tractor did NOT cut off as it used to. What's next please?

/ MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #9  
Thanks, All.

Thanks, All. So I checked the fuses with multimeter, not just visually, and all tested fine, plus cleaned/blew out/scraped housing/seats for fuses and lubricated before reinserting fuses. No apparent corrosion or unconnected wires on fuse box. Will check solenoid with multimeter when key turned off. Anything else?

Thanks, DMW. I do not hear any click from the relay after 5 - 10 seconds of turning off the key. What's next please?

Thanks, MF RED in MT. May be on to something. I pulled to stop, set brake, left in gear, raised hinny off seat and tractor did NOT cut off as it used to. What's next please?

Test to see if voltage to solenoid is there when key goes to off position... Red wire on solenoid, black wire should be ground...

Basic electrical trouble shooting is to start where problem manifests itself (in this case shut off solenoid) and go backwards by each increment till you find trouble spot (failure) ...

Owners manual does have wiring diagram....Really hard to read but it's all there...

Dale

Last edited:
   / MF GC1705 motor will not turn off with the ignition switch #10  
I don't think I can be of any more assistance. Too many electrical differences between the GC2300 and GC1705. Keep checking with the meter, try to isolate where the failure is.
Good luck