MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #1  

Dahwhat

Tractor
MF gc2310
HI all, new member here looking for help. i bought this tractor earlier this year and everything has been working great. i bought a 3pt auger for it and dug a dozen holes, used the BH for pulling out an broken down fence, used the FEL for moving gravel and mulch.

the tractor was parked for a month or so with just the FEL attached, and today after hooking the BH back up, i tried lifting the front of the tractor and it immediately dropped back down. ( within 3 seconds ) I lifted the back with the BH outriggers, and tried the FEL again but it didn't have any power to lift it at all! I figured it was low on oil, i can't really tell if the sight glass has oil in since the fluid is very clean, but i added maybe 2 quarts with a crappy little transfer pump. still the same thing happened.

i took the BH back off ( i'm getting good at it now) and tried again but the FEL still bled down within a couple seconds. no leaks anywhere at all, garage floor is dry as a bone. what should i look at doing?

also, i'm in NH and the temps have been around freezing for a couple weeks. machine has 960 hours on it.

thanks
james

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #2  
If the out riggers held the back up then the problem is with the loader valve or cylinder piston seal.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms
is it typical for one of those to fail so spectacularly? they worked all summer

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #4  
I would not say it is common to happen all at once but you may not have noticed because you did not need to lift the front up.

Do you have quick disconnects for your loader valve? If so, trace the hose from the capped ends of your lift cylinders. Disconnect that hose and then try lowering the loader like you would to lift the tractor. Nothing should happen but you hear fluid going through the pressure relief. If the loader actually tries to lift instead of lowering then one or both of the piston seals are bad.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #5  
You know, it almost sounds like the float valve is open. Are you pushing the joystick far enough forward that you're engaging the float function? (Or is the valve permanently in float?) Where in NH?

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #6  
I agree - sounds almost like you are pushing the joystick into the float position. the backhoe has one too.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #7  
easy test, lift front tires high as can (curl bucket first can get a bunch of lift) pull lever back to lower inch (this makes sure valve body nowhere near float function) then let sit.
if still lowers then valve body leaking by.
if sits there for few moments (older machine will always bleed down after time) then good chance you were not correctly feeling the float detent and hitting it just as you started to rise.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms
Didnt think i had a float position at all, so maybe that's whats happening. how does that happen? it sounds like you just push the joystick forward more? (further) i'll try it again this week.

So even if i raise the front of the tractor and let go of the joystick, if i hit the float position it will still lower the arms?

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #9  
yes if tractor up and float engaged it WILL drop almost instantly.
thing is if you were to actually hit float you could NOT raise front. but fact you can then is drops is the question.

not sure on 2300 series but on the 2400 and 1700 series pushing fwd until you feel a click puts it in float. usually it takes a little force.
if you raise front, purposely use lever to lower an inch you WILL be out of float if valve body working right.
at that point what happens is what to look for.
slowly settle over time...IMO normal wear and tear no worries.
Immediate drop...something going on. possibly leak by in valves engaging float when not manually put onto float.

we just need to see if you are bumping he float position somehow after the initial lift and the valve body is reacting.
thats the simplest explanation, its actually much more involved.

/ MF GC2310 FEL not keeping tractor up and weak BH arms #10  
Lifting the front tires off the ground (and the rears too, using the stabilizers) will result in breaking the tractor! These small SCUTS are not ment to be lifted like a full size backhoe.

You can put the bucket down on the ground, the stabilizers to just "push down enough" to keep you from sliding around when digging. In both my LS tractors manuals, (one a SCUT about the same size as yours, the second is a small CUT) it specifically states not to lift the tractor off it's wheels when using the BH.

I'm not telling you what to do, just passing on important information.