MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #11  
Bobcat has used single cylinder rams for years on the dump!!!

My wood splitter has a single ram and works great. But the question being asked was to ask about differences between a Kubota BX and a Massey GC. One ram vs two is an accurate difference, yes?

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #12  
My kioti has 2 rams..can can lift 1800 lbs, breakout force is 3400 if I recall. Bigger tractors have bigger numbers.
So in theory then ONE ram can do half that, 1 bigger ram can do more.
And would perhaps be half the price/parts.

One I guess can question who makes the ultimate decision - the bean counters (make it cheaper), the warranty cost folks (don't let it break), the engineers (make it bigger and stronger), etc.

For lower cost you only have so many options - a more efficient company, larger production capacity to reduce per unit cost, cheaper parts (source, manufacture, etc), smoke and mirrors - EVERYone is offering 6, 7 or more years with no interest...money isn't free, so they'r emaking their money in there somewhere.

Just saw an ad on TV for Kubota, L3301 I think, $129/mo. OK, no loader, DT model, 7 years. Possible, sure - but is that the tractor you actually want, feature wise?

the TYM/Rural King are nice as they are fully equipped right out of the gate - but after sale service? Maybe the company knows it won't have that (cost) so they can make the machine better?

So many variables it's hard to say what to get.
My wood splitter has a single ram and works great. But the question being asked was to ask about differences between a Kubota BX and a Massey GC. One ram vs two is an accurate difference, yes?

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #13  
I compared the two you are looking at. Went with Massey GC1705 for several reasons. GC1705 outspec'd Kubota on features important to me. Rear PTO HP on the massey is close to 19hp with the engine running at only 2600rpm. Kubota has to run wide open at 3000rpm to hit its rated numbers. Loader operation is also painfully slow with the kubota unless running at high RPM. Ergonomics and operator platform were better on the massey. Drive over MMM on the massey is straightforward, no ramps and transforming needed like the kubota.
What Kubota has going for it are some convenience features like the tilt steering wheel, single lever loader hydraulic detach from the manifold, quick attach for the loader bucket. Honestly you have several quick attach options for the loader bucket with Massey. They are not expensive and your dealer can probably package it with the machine. You will fine Massey is better prices than the Kubota too.

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #14  
I didn’t try negotiating price with the Kubota dealer but their asking price was about 20% higher than the equivalent MF. That right there was what made the decision for me. There is probably an element of you get what you pay for but so far I’ve been happy with my MF.

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #15  
I saw some MF subcompact prices and financing options which looked more attractive than Kubota BX's.

What are the major differences between the 2 mfrs? Is the BX worth paying more for?

I am shopping for 24 to 25 hp, quick attach loader & bucket, snow plow, and 54" to 60" mmm.

TIA

Yooper Dave

Yooper,

There should be a great number of threads on TBN comparing kubota BX product to Massey gc1700 product, I've written a number of them.

There is nothing like researching to verify opinions you'll read. Some import things to remember in my opinion:

Know the best engine makers for scuts and the best ones have a 30 year history each of making engines for scuts and long term agreements. Both Iseki and kubota fall in that category.

Know which engine makers actually build the tractors those engines go in. Again Iseki and kubota are that category.

Those many threads of 2015 and 2016 and 2017 will summarize for you all the specifics and why they are important.

Know the fit and feel of each brand you are considering.

After reading a dozen threads or maybe two dozen threads of BX. Vs GC threads, you'll have much more awareness than some of the salespeople you will encounter.

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #16  
I saw some MF subcompact prices and financing options which looked more attractive than Kubota BX's.

What are the major differences between the 2 mfrs? Is the BX worth paying more for?

I am shopping for 24 to 25 hp, quick attach loader & bucket, snow plow, and 54" to 60" mmm.

TIA

Yooper Dave

Here's a thought from someone that just took delivery of a GC1700 series tractor ....

Before you pull the trigger on either one, check what the "full package" will cost you in the end. By full package, I'm talking what the tractor and any extras will cost you. Think of the extras as implements you will reasonably expect to add in the end. Are they compatible with the unit you buy? What extras will you need to make the tractor set-up you want in the end cost?

I planned on basically wanting a quick hitch (QH) on the front that I would switch between FEL to pallet forks. Never thought of looking this far out before purchaseing and thinking it would be a "standard" thing MF would have. Now, after getting the tractor, I fing that MF has a reasonable priced QH but sell no forks that are compatible! The only work around (no, not going with clamp-on to FEL) is to buy a set of customized QH by seperate company that charges $$$$ (about 3x more) for a QH that will do both the FEL and their forks. Yep, then you have to only use their compatible implements. Well made and quality built - no doubt from what I read - still not what I expected.

I don't know, but maybe the BX has a better system for QH with cheaper implements used to work together in the end. More up front for the tractor but maybe less in the end for the "full package" you expect to have. I don't know if I made a mistake but I admit - as much research as I did on tractor - I should have done more in the end on a "full package."

Just a thought. Good luck in your search.

/ MF vs Kubota Sub Compacts #17  
Yooper,

So I've noticed that you started this thread but then really haven't returned to ask questions or describe your efforts.

Although there are similarities in many ways between the GC products and the BX products. . . there are also a few important differences. 2 pumps versus 1 pump, differences in fel payload capacity, cockpit fits and control pedals, fel coupler methods and selection of mower decks and of course pricing to name just a few.

Engine quality and engine/tractor compatibility are strong points for both brands.

And if you are doing a quick attach process for your fel to drop a bucket and add forks or other bucks, it's important to check with 3rd party vendors too. . . like MyTractorTools.com.

A friend of mine bought a kubota B2601 with a 60 inch bucket. Then he decided he wanted quick attach . . . So the dealer switched to the same size bucket with the quick attach feature . . . but it was another 650.00 plus tax (no uncharge for switching just the difference in costs of the buckets) . My friend hadn't done his homework but was smart enough to know to get what he wants and needs to see his new unit as a long term benefit.

Last edited: