mf135 wont start

/ mf135 wont start
no spark

with voltmeter the batt is 12.6 drops to 12.06 w key on
coil 11.4 w key on

put in new neutral safety switch

any ideas/ i got nothing when key turned

replaced the coil the wire to the distributor very loose have new set of plug wires on order.

/ mf135 wont start #13  
hotwire it and retest.

/ mf135 wont start
hotwire it and retest.

thanks Soundguy
pretend for a minute I am a novice (I am) and have no idea as to how to proceed with what you are suggesting?

could you be so kind as to describe the procedure? thanks

/ mf135 wont start #15  
lets break it down like this.

on a spark ignition.

you have the battery, a key switch, maybee a resistor and a coil.

there is plenty of stuff betweent he battery and coil that can have bad connections, loose wires, corrosion.. etc.

a hot wire bypasses all that.

jump from the ungrounded post of the battery to the primary of the ignition coil.

only do this with breaker contact based systems mind you.

/ mf135 wont start
What will I learn? I already know i have power
To the coil? You mentioned retest? You want me
To then see what power is? Where?

Don't mean to be dense- ???

Thanks

/ mf135 wont start #17  
never mind.

too hard to argue on a phone.

you don't want to do it. don't do it.

see ya

/ mf135 wont start
Ok. Thanks anyway. Did not mean to argue
By asking questions. I just did not understand
Your posts intent.

/ mf135 wont start #19  
Did you ever check cranking voltage at coil??? You mentioned a few posts up you turned the key and nothing. Does that mean no power???? As SG said do the hot wire test. Even though you have 12 volts at the coil what is happen to it after running through the switch, wires , connections etc. Maybe loses amperage enough to lose spark. Probably a bad coil, condenser or points. If you have not recently replaced the P & C I would start there as tuning it up is not a bad thing.

/ mf135 wont start
Did you ever check cranking voltage at coil??? You mentioned a few posts up you turned the key and nothing. Does that mean no power???? As SG said do the hot wire test. Even though you have 12 volts at the coil what is happen to it after running through the switch, wires , connections etc. Maybe loses amperage enough to lose spark. Probably a bad coil, condenser or points. If you have not recently replaced the P & C I would start there as tuning it up is not a bad thing.

thanks Clint

i installed a new coil, new distributor cap,rotor button and points

the distributor wire from the coil is lose, I have new plug wires on order

i also installed a new safety neutral switch and cleaned up ground connections and repaired all frayed wires I found. im not assuming i found them all.
when the key is turned to the start position there is only a click sound. the battery drops from 12.6 to 12.06 and the coil reads around 11.4.

the starter wires are hot all the time...is that right?

i tried to pull start the tractor...and it would not attempt to fire up. am i correct in assuming that rules out the starter?

thanks for your response by the way. I will attempt the hot wire test.