MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning?

/ MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #1  

NewLight

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510 Massey Ferguson 1754
Hello TBN members, it's been a long while sense the last time I posted anything. And how I wish this one was about something awesome like a new toy or attachment and not this, not another person with the DPF bluse:hissyfit:. So now I'm on the hunt for help. What I would like is to delete the DPF and everything related(seems impossible at the moment) or have a way to do forced regenerations myself(seem just as unlikely). Now I suppose I should layout the situation. The first 200hrs or so the system worked flawlessly, just as it should. No issues at all, textbook operation. Then last winter I was moving hay bales one day and the engine derated, warning lights came on in the insterment cluster and that ear piercing high pinched noise. I hate that noise! My soot level was at four bars that time. Every time since then my soot levels according to the instrument cluster have been at 3 bars, even 2 bars more than once. So the last almost 190hrs have been plagued with derate after derate and forced regen after forced regen. And shortly after the first forced regen the tractor started to produce a smell from the exhaust and then started smoking. And now the smell and smoking are a constant. My dealer has been fantastically accommodating sending techs out numerous times(in and out of warranty) to take care of me, they even picked it up twice to take it back to the dealership to check the DPF filter which they say was OK, replaced a pressure differential sensor, and have even put it on the dyno to check power levels(normal), look for blow by and oil leaking from turbo seals(none). Unfortunately my basic warranty is up and they can't continue to send techs out to do regens. And the only thing we know for sure is the soot levels as seen by the ECU and what is displayed in the instrument cluster do not match, at ALL! The instrument cluster says two or three bars but the computer sees eight bars. This is a known issue by AGCO with no known resolution. Here is a link to a playlist of videos of the tractor smoking, unfortunately my phone doesn't pick up the smoke well. But hopefully this gives useful visual aid. MF1754 smoking/regeneration issues - YouTube.

Last edited:
   / MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #2  
I am sorry to hear of your trouble. I am afraid I don't much about this regen stuff on these new tractors. I have heard other guys complaining and having trouble. I guess this is some requirement the epa is pushing. Like any government agency, what do they know about tractors??? The fact that agco knows they got a problem, has no solution, and is ready to abandon you is no surprise to me. That is how agco operates in my opinion and from experience. I truly hope you get it figured out and things get better.

/ MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning?
The EPA dose indeed have a big hand in this cookie jar, but theirs isn't the only one. And much like the seat switch issue earlier on that they didn't have a fix for at first, I'm choosing to hope AGCO/MF are working to correct this discrepancy between what the ECU sees and the I/C says. Especially sense this is a known issue and I'm not the only one experiencing it. And I forgot to mention manual regens, I know they will likely come up. I can't initiate one, I never have been able to nor has any of the service techs or the service manager from my dealer. I've read my owners manual more than once and that's how I've attempted to do it. The service manager even pulled another manual from another 1754 and found that the instructions read differently than my own. The guess here is that one was an updated manual, but it still didn't matter.

/ MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #4  
New Light- I also have a MF1754. Sorry to hear about your problem. My 1754 has been far from trouble free. I've noticed recently that my soot guage hasn't added any bars in approximately 20 hours of operation. Is this how your problem started? Engine seems to be running fine, so far. Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
   / MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #5  
Holy crap I just had the same exact problem on my 1742!!! I've been the sole owner and operator since new and now had 278 hours. Never had a regen issue and have never ever skipped a cycle. It's cold here in central new york so I started it up and let her warm up for a few. Sat in the seat and throttled up. Loud beeping, cluster flashing, regen and engine light on, absolutely no power, and my soot bars said 4! Called my dealer and they took me right in. Called the tech the next day, he said when they hooked the scan tool up, pcm said the filter was plugged solid!! He also continued to tell me not to skip regen and let it go automatically. Like stated before, I have never skipped a cycle or stopped it from regen. Dealer forced it through a manual regen and now it's back at home. Seems to me, a little down on power since, but I'm I'm unsure because of the single digits here. My mind is boggled how it filled up on the pcm side and the cluster only said 4 bars.... I have no answers from massey or the dealer on why this happened. Trust me, I would love to delete this whole system but being computer controlled, my hands are tied with the programming. Wish I could help you but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this battle lol

/ MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #6  
rmc125mx - what dealer are you using in Central NY?

New Light- I also have a MF1754. Sorry to hear about your problem. My 1754 has been far from trouble free. I've noticed recently that my soot guage hasn't added any bars in approximately 20 hours of operation. Is this how your problem started? Engive seems to be running fine, so far. Thanks for any information.

Outside of this problem with the emissions and DPF I've not had an other issues and have been very happy with this tractor. Its been able to do everything i needed and intended it to do and more. When this all started for me it was certainly a surprise. Everything seemed normal until it wasn't. What really gets me is the smell and smoking. It's not suppose to do that and AGCO and the dealer have no ideas as to why.

Wish I could help you but just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this battle lol
Thanks, it's very much appreciated. I'm glad to not be the only one but it stinks that this is such a wide spread problem with no resolve. Well, no resolve yet.

/ MF1754 smoking/DPF malfunctioning? #9  
I wonder if you have a temp sender that goes out of range when it gets very cold or is malfunctioning when ambient temp get that cold. They pull into the warm shop and they don't see the issue. The thing to do would be to check the temp senses to ambient after setting outside for extended time. This would require reader that can go in to ecm to see what it is seeing. sounds like dealership maybe jumping to conclusions.
I am speaking in generalities as I do not know your tractor in particular but sensors in general mess up when it gets REAL cold.
I have also seen MANY OEMs not have the ecu programming correct for cold temps.
The thing to get would be a reader to see what the ecu is seeing. Chances are you won't find something cost effective to force your own regen, as that requires talking to the ecm, but i would think there might be something out there that could read the ecm sensor's inputs.
for example your dash gauges reads the ecm out puts, you just need more accurate dash.
So when you say the dash gauge and the ecm don't read the same thing that is really strange, which would lead me towards a programming issue, because my guess is the dash just reads what the ecm spits out.

I wonder if you have a temp sender that goes out of range when it gets very cold or is malfunctioning when ambient temp get that cold. They pull into the warm shop and they don't see the issue. The thing to do would be to check the temp senses to ambient after setting outside for extended time. This would require reader that can go in to ecm to see what it is seeing. sounds like dealership maybe jumping to conclusions.
I am speaking in generalities as I do not know your tractor in particular but sensors in general mess up when it gets REAL cold.
I have also seen MANY OEMs not have the ecu programming correct for cold temps.
The thing to get would be a reader to see what the ecu is seeing. Chances are you won't find something cost effective to force your own regen, as that requires talking to the ecm, but i would think there might be something out there that could read the ecm sensor's inputs.
for example your dash gauges reads the ecm out puts, you just need more accurate dash.
So when you say the dash gauge and the ecm don't read the same thing that is really strange, which would lead me towards a programming issue, because my guess is the dash just reads what the ecm spits out.

This whole thing started last winter and it was definitely COLD then, however it didn't stop there. This issue has unfortunately been continuous through out the year. It seems like the more I use it the more frequent the need for forced regens, each of the last two derates and subsequent forced regens happened in less than 20hrs of each other. And they have seen the smoking in person the last time it was at the dealer. They just don't know why. I'm told there were no codes, faults, or any parameters out of bounds. I've also been told it will be impossible as a consumer to acquire the diagnostic tool the dealer uses. So being able to peer into the ECM and see what it's seeing is not at all likely. It seems to me there huge opportunity for after market support from those already working the automotive side of diesel.