MF2606H

/ MF2606H #1  

MF2606H

Tractor
MF2606H
I have a 2016 2606H - 65 hp with 8x8 shuttle and independent PTO (55 hp). I love this tractor, but ... the PTO quit working 3 years ago and AGCO covered it under warranty (good on them). It just quit working AGAIN and they are going to have to split the tractor AGAIN. It is out of warranty so unless they take pity on me I have to pay this one.

Since the first time it quit I have only put about 500 hours on it, mostly "bush hogging " horse pastures and moving round bales. The first time they repaired it the only feedback was a broken thrust washer. They supposedly replaced the entire PTO clutch assembly.

I have slip clutches or shear pins on all my implements and don't abuse the tractor.

Can anyone offer advice as to the potential cause of the PTO failure and/or the interaction with the dealer. I do plan to go look at it once they split it. I can't afford to do this every 3 years with a $3k repair bill.

/ MF2606H #2  
There is something wrong, obviously. I have a 2011 MF 2660 81 hp and 600 hrs on it. Had MANY problems in infant mortality first 3 years I had it, but it has been solid and reliable since. Never did have any PTO issues and have used it more to drive a heavy 7ft hog than anything else; some also with a 7'8" flail mower. Be honest with yourself: How hard have you been on it? Do you see any thing approaching rough treatment or no?
Assuming you have used it under normal treatment for the last 500 hrs for 3 years -- sure there is no guarantee in order for you to demand anything. HOWEVER, unless the machine has been treated very badly, your dealer and the AGCO service rep will both know "something ain't right." I would ask for the contact info and make direct contact with the Regional Service Rep. Ask him to evaluate the case, discuss it with the dealer, etc. Just bare your soul and ask if the Regional Service Rep can help at all -- by some amount of cost sharing. I'm betting they will. That service rep has a LOT of horsepower in these situations.

/ MF2606H
JWR - thanks for the response and advice. After the first issue I have been very careful with any PTO implement. I checked all of the shafts to make sure they don't bind and the slip clutches to ensure they slip and the springs are adjusted properly.

The one thing that gives me pause is the stump grinder (Woodland Mills). I know some people are wary of them. I discussed it with the owner of the MF dealer and his mechanic and they both said it shouldn't be a problem. Rated at only 45 hp the 2606h should be able to readily handle it.

/ MF2606H #4  
Agco/Massey Ferguson should definitely have to cover this again, since it broke again.

/ MF2606H
UPDATE - they split the tractor and removed the clutch assembly. The large snap ring that holds the end plate was gone (presumably chewed up and laying in the bottom) which allowed the clutch plates to move out. Several plates bent in the ensuing melee. The friction material appeared almost new and there was no evidence of high temperatures or burnt fluid. The head mechanic believes the primary failure is the snap ring came out of the channel and everything else is secondary, including the clutch housing frozen to the shaft. The splines didn't fail, the ends were chewed up. This theory makes sense based on two things (1) when it failed there was no loud bang, just an uneventful slow to a stop. (2) one corner on the clutch housing was bent on the corner which may have allowed the snap ring to exit the groove. See picture below.
Only torque loads can be imparted from the attached implement. That corner bend in the housing would come from an axial load, the only source would be pressure from the clutch valve. So is it a material issue, an assembly issue, or something (grit) caused an asymmetric load which bent the housing and liberated the snap ring? And why did it happen TWICE!!@#%%%&??

The AGCO service Rep evaluated the case. Their system for tracking issues doesn't show this as a problem and they could not offer an explanation as to why it failed. The dealer told me in his 40+ years he's only worked on two PTO failures- both mine. Great. It appears I am stuck with a $4900 repair bill and a decision - run the crap out of it while under the 6 month repair warranty or baby it and hope it lasts more than 3 years?

1000001214.jpg

/ MF2606H #6  
Yikes! I am VERY surprised that AGCO did not at least offer some reduced cost to you...I do not know how to appeal a Regional Service Rep decision. Did you talk directly with him ?

/ MF2606H #7  
Repair it, sell it. Something is wrong. "not in their database of issues" is just a nice way of saying they dont know what is wrong and they arent going to cover it.