Oil & Fuel MF50C hydraulic oil?

/ MF50C hydraulic oil? #1  

Kaipara

Hi guys,

I'm a proud new owner an old MF50C Industrial w/ 54A Backhoe. :cool:

It had been sitting in a farm shed for about 5 years, with the odd start to keep it running but doing no real work. When I played with it before buying it seemed to be working well (and I plan to restore it a little bit at a time).

On my first real outing digging I blew a hose on the backhoe and lost a lot of hydraulic oil. I replaced the hose and then the oil with ISO grade 46 hydraulic oil.

Now when it heats up I lose power in all the hydraulics (to the extent the loader lift doesn't move above two foot off the ground and the backhoe doesn't move at all) :eek: Whenever its cold, it works fine!

Does anyone know if this could be caused by using the incorrect oil grade, and what the recommended oil is?

I took a punt as I had some Grade 46 but suspect that I got it wrong!

/ MF50C hydraulic oil? #2  
By the time the 50C had come out all Massey tractors had changed to Permatran. I have seen several Massey tractors that worked just fine until some odd fluid was installed. Then they wouldn't work correctly until Permatran was reinstalled.

/ MF50C hydraulic oil?
Jerry, Thanks for the info!. Is there different grades of Permatran or is one size fits all? (I ask because looking on google most reference is to Permatran III).

I will talk to a MF dealer about it, but just want to make sure I get the right stuff (not sure if there is many 50C's floating around out here anymore!)

/ MF50C hydraulic oil? #4  
Permatran III is the current version.

/ MF50C hydraulic oil?
Just for future reference for anyone searching;

It turns out in the manual (which I don't have... will have to get that sorted) it recommends Shell Tellus 68, amongst other brands products that I think aren't very available anymore.

While I know Tellus 68 is still avalabile and commonly used in marine, the local dealer has advised me to use 'Valvoline FarmPlus Universal Tractor Oil'.

I'm going to make the drive to the dealer tomorrow, and will ask why not Permatran?

Incidentally I went to pull the hydraulic filter out, and discovered it didn't have one! The part number for this is 1810694M92.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the last 10L of old oil out of the backhoe..!

/ MF50C hydraulic oil? #6  
I have a 30E. There is the transmission system which uses Permatran III or equiv. Then there is the loader /hoe hydraulic system which can use regular hydraulic oil. I am guessing but you could probably use the Permatran III in both , it probably just costs more.

/ MF50C hydraulic oil? #7  
I have a 1966 Massey 50C. This is my 1st tractor and I love the old girl. I want to make sure I take care of her. I was told because of the bronze bearings/ Bushings that I had to use a mineral base fluid in the gear box. Something to do with detergents and additives eating the bronze. Any info on the correct fluids and any tips for the 10 year old Perkins 4.236 would be greatly appreciate. Also, I have many of the filter #s but can’t find the 2 air filter #s. The measurements are outer filter 12” long x 5 1/4” outside x 3” inner filter 11” x 3”. Thanks again in advance.
By the way I live in the western Sierra upper foothills at about 2600’. Cold up here is 10 F. No sub zero temps. Highs in the summer are 105F tops.