MF65 water in the oil

/ MF65 water in the oil #1  

WestonFire22

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65 (Gas)
Hi all, first post here, but often read through threads and lurk around.

I have a Massey 65 (Gas engine) and have water in the oil. Last spring (2014) we got flooded and she went under (up to about the middle of the engine, enough to fill through the dipstick) and filled up with water. Before I ever started it, I changed all the fluids. Now this spring, I was out mowing and it started sputtering and coughing and appeared to be overheating. Stopped, checked the radiator and it was pretty much empty, checked the oil and it was full (and yes, very milky/foamy).

I have read around on the forum and see people talking about oil in the water or gas in the oil, but nothing about water in the oil.

Wondering if I have major issues like a cracked block somewhere due to not getting all the water out last year and maybe froze over the winter or could I have something as "simple" as a blown head gasket? Looking for a little advice before I start tearing into it and deciding if it is salvageable. It has been a great tractor, always ran well.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice/help!
Bruce

/ MF65 water in the oil #2  
Just guessing but I would think pulling off the head would give you a good indication whether or not it's just a head gasket.

/ MF65 water in the oil #3  
The loss of radiator coolant coupled with milky engine oil is a correlation you can't ignore. Was the engine oil level above normal? I would not think the flooding would cause this problem but do agree that pulling the head would not be a bad idea.

/ MF65 water in the oil #4  
The loss of radiator coolant coupled with milky engine oil is a correlation you can't ignore. Was the engine oil level above normal? I would not think the flooding would cause this problem but do agree that pulling the head would not be a bad idea.

If the head is pulled look closely at the top of the sleeves, I've seen them crack allowing water in oil also.

/ MF65 water in the oil #5  
Most likely a head gasket. But I hardly call that something simple. Anyway, here are some pics of a failed diesel head gasket which is actually harder to discern as opposed to gas. This is because of the much higher compression ratio of a diesel usually doesn't allow much flow into the cylinder and you get radiator overflow long before it reaches that point. With water leaking into the cylinder, you'll actually be able to see the corrosion along the leaky pathway:
GASKET1.jpg
GASKET2.jpg

/ MF65 water in the oil #6  
I've seen water mix with the oil because the head gasket was simply loose. I hope you're that lucky.

/ MF65 water in the oil
Well, finally had time to dig into the tractor this evening, got the head off and there are three cracks in the block, one between each cylinder. I am afraid she is beyond repair at this point unless there is some "easy" fix for this.

Bruce

Attachments

• Block1.JPG
    Block1.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Block2.JPG
    Block2.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 399
  • Block3.JPG
    Block3.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 500
  • Block4.JPG
    Block4.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 286
   / MF65 water in the oil #8  
Well, finally had time to dig into the tractor this evening, got the head off and there are three cracks in the block, one between each cylinder. I am afraid she is beyond repair at this point unless there is some "easy" fix for this.

Bruce

Sorry to hear that. I suppose you could look for a used motor. May not be worth it and it is your call. I've heard JB Weld fixes, but IMO they're temporary at best

/ MF65 water in the oil #9  
Those cracks look like someone put cold water into an overheated engine. i.e. they're not from freezing or from pre-detonation. Head is likely warped as well.

/ MF65 water in the oil #10  
You mention it was "flooded". Was it running while driven into deep standing water?