Mice issues

/ Mice issues #1  

ByronBob

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 BX2230
The mice are setting up home in my tractor, snowmobiles, tiller ect....

What's the best solution to eliminating them minus a cat??

Traps or maybe mouse poison I can think of but if anyone has another opinion I'm all for them.

/ Mice issues #2  
I'd just pick up a few traps and place them around the area that you think they travel -- you may not have that many mice that need to be erraticated.

/ Mice issues #3  
Bob,

Poison is the most effective, and don't waste time doing it, I had a farm truck years ago and the mice ate all the electical wiring. they made a hell of a mess, its not nice.

/ Mice issues #4  
I wanted to use spring traps but, there were two votes & one (mine) was disqualified. It looks like we are getting a couple of barn cats. We've got mice, rats, red squirrels, & chipmunks in the barn. I could easily reduce the squirrel & chipmunk population as they come & go with my assortmant of 22's but that also was not a popular idea.

/ Mice issues #5  
Mice, rats, and squirrels reproduce exponentially. If you have enough to notice, you will have tons more soon. In my opinion, you can't afford to be squeamish in eradicating the little buggers - any means at your disposal. Poison works better than traps in my experience.

My wife's two Jack Russel Terriers keep our property entirely vermin-free (vermin = anything living they can catch).

Pete

/ Mice issues #6  
Personally, I've had better luck with the old fashioned spring traps than anything else. Peanut butter works pretty well for bait, although a very small piece of raw bacon tied on with thread has worked the best for me.

/ Mice issues #7  
We used to hang a nylon stocking foot with a cup of moth ball crystals inside the engine compartment on our sleds. Just make sure the mothballs don't lay on any metal...may end up with some corrosion.

With the cover on, the space in the engine compartment is some aromatic !!!

On the older sleds, we'd do the same in the seat storage pocket. Some of the newer machines lack that pocket though !!

/ Mice issues #8  
This will only work with plagues of mice. Here in Oz we often have plagues of mice in the wheat belts. One of the best ways to get large numbers is to fill a tub with water and on a board leaning up to and over the tub tape a beer bottle with some cheese in the end. the mice walk up the board onto the bottle to get the cheese once there if they try to turn around they fall into the tub and drown

/ Mice issues #9  
I was at a local gun store this weekend and I saw some .22 ammo that was fired only by a primer. I asked the guy about it and he said it makes almost no noise and is very effective for varmits up to about 40'. They look like .22 short shells. I didn't really pay any attention to the brand since I don't really need any right now. If you can sneak out of the house with a rifle, this might be a way to eradicate the little buggers without disturbing other family members. Then when you get a bucket full, you can take them somewhere and bury them with your tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The guy says he sells several bricks of this stuff every week, so it must work.

/ Mice issues
I'll try all of these idea's. It's cheaper than having broken equipment. I thought about the moth balls but I wonder if they care about the smell. Thanks again