Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom?

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #31  
What is ABS on the back blade?? And how does it not drag the gravel? I use a backblade and DO drag the gravel; big pain.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #32  
What is ABS on the back blade?? And how does it not drag the gravel? I use a backblade and DO drag the gravel; big pain.

Some people are splitting abs pipe and slipping it over their edge on the blade and the FEL cutting edge. This allows the blade to skim over the gravel.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #33  
  • Yep, more weight on the back of the tractor.
  • The JD blade extensions for the 366 blade are actually pretty sturdy and works well. Dunno why JD went with a 66" blade instead of a wider one.
  • With Turf Specials, keep 3 wheels on the asphalt and concrete as much as possible or run with chains.
  • Keep snow shovel and bag of salt with you when you plow in case you get stuck
  • 3520 Cab is great! :D
I am considering buying a frontier snow blower for the rear - even though I may only need it once in a while. The price for a 64" 3PT mount unit is not too costly.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #34  
Some of the worst snow I've ever seen, in So. Maryland. Would have been better if it was snow, rain & sleet just made for a block of ice. I think I need chains, I was very dissapointed with my L39. Even in 4WD once you spun the tires it was done. Had to pull myself back with the backhoe a couple times. I gave up & got the bobcat out, gave it a fit too, but managed to plow through it.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #35  
Thank you, Dex3361, for the info.
What size pipe do you use and what "grade" of pipe should be used? I've seen PVC pipe break easily.
Do you cut it length-wise with a jigsaw then just slide it onto the cutting edge of the rear blade? How does it stay on?
Obviously I've never seen this...so that why all the questions.
Any photos?

Thank you again, CL

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #36  
Chains on all four. Engage Front drive when needed, I have a steap hill that I need to go down to bucket the snow out. I need the chains on the front when backing up the hill with a load. I fabricated an 18" extension for my loader bucket. Attaches with 4 bolts like a tooth bar. Triples the capacity of the bucket. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• P2180005.JPG
    P2180005.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 174
   / Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #37  
Thank you, Dex3361, for the info.
What size pipe do you use and what "grade" of pipe should be used? I've seen (white)PVC pipe break easily.
Do you cut it length-wise with a jigsaw then just slide it onto the cutting edge of the rear blade? How does it stay on?
Obviously I've never seen this...so that why all the questions.
Any photos?

Thank you again, CL

Hey Chuck, There are lots of threads here on (black)ABS pipe for a gravel guard. I tell you it is wonderful for that purpose. Just take a 1 1/2" or 2" piece of ABS pipe found at Lowes for $10 and run it through your table saw to make a slit in one side. Nice and straight!!!
Bang it on with a small sledge.

Now the bad news. It rarely lasts me more than one plowing. It doesn't shatter like (white)PVC, but it still gouges up and distorts, which means the fool thing ends up in the snow bank as it loses its grip on the blade. Still, I cut a bunch of them. I don't want my gravel in the lawn. :D:D

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #38  
I fabricated an 18" extension for my loader bucket. Attaches with 4 bolts like a tooth bar. Triples the capacity of the bucket. Works like a charm.

Ohh - I like it!

Any chance you have a drawing or specs on your snow pusher?

I'd like to build one myself.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #39  
I tilt my bucket up just slightly over level, and it hardly picks up any gravel. I don't want to scrape to the gravel, it's a pain to deal with later in the yard.

/ Mid Atlantic Snow storm, words of wisdom? #40  
When my drive was graveled, I adapted a pair of skid shoes to my back blade. This worked very well at no picking up the gravel, and it lasted forever. It might be worth looking at your local TSC store and see if they have something you can adapt to your blade.